Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Keep Breaking Studs! (update!!! Plz read)

what the heck is this crap... good lord does ford make the studs from plastic!!! So far on one wheel i have had all 4 break off obviously not at the same time had 1 go at a time im effin tired of fixing them..... anyone know what could be going on?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
over torquing them. I have never broken one and ive taken my wheels off countless times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
SVT_BMXer said:
over torquing them. I have never broken one and ive taken my wheels off countless times.

me too. had three differ set of lug nuts on it, and nvr broken one

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
over tourqe ??? its just on one wheel none of the others and im not he-man... thats what holds the wheel on you shouldent be able to break them with your hands

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You can over torque with your hands and a lug wrench...it isnt hard to do. An impact wrench or torque wrench stop torquing at a certain point. The torque wrench allows you to set that limitation, the impact wrench just stops tightening. I have pulled my wheels off countless times and havnt had any issues. The majority of the time, people over torque It might just be one wheel you have over torqued on...it is ok to admit it. Just don't blame Ford for a problem that usually occurs because of the owner's fault.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LoL funny i seriously do not belive that i did not over tourqe 3 wheels but did on this one wheel.... and always keep over tourqing on this one wheel

·
Registered
279 Posts
Could very well be over torqing it. DO NOT use an impact wrench to torque your lugs. Most impact wrenches tighten lugs too much. I wouldn't even trust an impact wrench with a torque stick. If you use a torque wrench, you're sure that all of the lugs are the same tension, so you wont have to worry about inducing vibration from inconsistent tensions. Also, you wont have to worry about warping your rotors either.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Lube those bolts before you put the nuts back on next time. A "little" anti seize or just some plain ol 3 in 1 oil will do wonders. Most breakage comes from a nut that is over-torqued or has corroded a lttle.... it doesn't take much. Some lube (light grease) on the flared part of the nut will keep it from getting hung up on the wheel flange as well. All tightening needs to be done with a torque wrench. This is not only important to keep from breaking lug bolts but it keeps rotors running true as well. Harbor Freight sells a half inch model for less than $15.00 that works great for wheel lug nuts. If you must use an impact wrench, use only ones that have adjustable torque settings and make sure you know what those settings are. My impact wrenches first setting is 50 to 60 ft. lbs. I use that to install my lug nuts and then do the final tightening with my torque wrench. If your impact wrench only has one setting .... DON'T USE IT.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
airdrummer said:
Could very well be over torqing it. DO NOT use an impact wrench to torque your lugs. Most impact wrenches tighten lugs too much. I wouldn't even trust an impact wrench with a torque stick. If you use a torque wrench, you're sure that all of the lugs are the same tension, so you wont have to worry about inducing vibration from inconsistent tensions. Also, you wont have to worry about warping your rotors either.
lol...impact wrenches wont tighten too much...where did hear that? Shops use them all the time to get the lugs snug, then you finish tightening with a HAND torque wrench. The impact wrench wont over tighten as long you know how to use it. I have used it on all of my cars and have had no problems.

·
Registered
279 Posts
kenpokid said:
lol...impact wrenches wont tighten too much...where did hear that? Shops use them all the time to get the lugs snug, then you finish tightening with a HAND torque wrench. The impact wrench wont over tighten as long you know how to use it. I have used it on all of my cars and have had no problems.
Yes, this is true as long as you know how to use it. I should have added as long as you finish with a torque wrench, it will be fine, as long as you actually finish tightening it with the torque wrench.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
RE: Impact Wrench

airdrummer said:
Yes, this is true as long as you know how to use it.
^^^ [werd]
And I'll bet the ratio is 99:1 in favor of those who don't know how to use one.
I never let tire shops install my wheels anymore because of that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m not quite sure where to start but here it goes when i was on my way home last night i heard a pop and then felt my car start to shake.... being that tires are filled with air you would first believe your tire popped so I started to slow down and put my flashers on... as I was getting off the ramp i heard bang and then immediately heard schrrrrrrrrrrrr and noticed sparks coming from the back right after seeing sparks I see my friggin WHEEL! Yes I said wheel rolling past me... all due to the fact that I’m muscle man and had "over tightened" my lugs (take note of the sarcasm there).... A closer investigation reveals that Ford is not making there studs properly there was corrosion in one of the studs and the other three must have been weak or from the same batch...... sad part is after I jacked up the car and the tow truck guy tried to take a lug nut off the other wheel to try to put the doughnut on with the 3 threads sticking out on the one stud i had left to get it on the flat bed the stud on the driver side broke off too… WATCH OUT FORD HERE I COME!!!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What is the torgue spec for the Focus lug nuts? I bought the Chiltons manual and that was the first thing I looked for ("see Chapter 1"), guess what I didn't find in Chapter 1...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
ive snapped one of my own lug nuts from torquing at 90lbs
80-85lbs is good enough also was the wheel on square and hand tighten the lugs before lowering the wheel could of been on an angle and on the ground trying to tighten that will cause it to break lotta heat and POP there she blows!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
the factory recommended spec is 95. hand tighten all your lugs all the way down, then use the torque wrench once you set the car back down. i do it many times every day, only with a impact gun and torque stick. never have a customer come back complaining that i broke their studs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we are talking about F O R D here !!! go 10 lbs less than factory spec

Fix Or Repair Daily

or backwords

Driver Returns On Foot

however you wanna look at it

·
Registered
2,803 Posts