Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have HIDs. Worked great for about a month and then I heard a click front the passenger footwell when I turned on my foglights. They didn't come on.

Checked it out in the manual for which fuse is for the fogs, fuse #75. Pulled it (which is a pita) it was blown. Put another 15 amp fuse and it blew again right away. I'm going to head to walmart and get a 20 amp or 25 amp and try it. If it blows ill go back to halogens until I figure it out. The HIDs are connected just fine and still work from another power source so those aren't shorting anywhere.

Damn Focus electronics.... Haha.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
don't stick a bigger fuse in there please.... unless you want to let the magic smoke out of your wiring harness. Might not realize it but they also do cost cutting on the wires when they can instead of using the same size everywhere. those wires may be rated somewhere between 15 and 20 amps..... pull a consistent 19 or 20 and I bet you melt some stuff.

Really make sure it's hooked up correctly, don't just assume they work fine.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't stick a bigger fuse in there please.... unless you want to let the magic smoke out of your wiring harness. Might not realize it but they also do cost cutting on the wires when they can instead of using the same size everywhere. those wires may be rated somewhere between 15 and 20 amps..... pull a consistent 19 or 20 and I bet you melt some stuff.

Really make sure it's hooked up correctly, don't just assume they work fine.
I thought hid ballasts only draw 12 on start up and 9 amps when warmed up?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
assuming they work correctly and the wiring is fine. There's a reason the fuse is going out. Said it yourself too, they should only be drawing 12a max.

I'm not sure how you have your HIDs set up though. You have em in both the fog lights and headlights?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have HIDs, angel eye projectors, and led tails. They all work fine. Then I put in LED reverse lights and blew the parking lamp fuse (I forget the number) everytime I turned my lights on. Brake lights and headlights still came on but nothing else. No idea why lol

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Unplug both fogs and replace the fuse. Then plug each one in one at a time.

It might take you a few fuses but its the safest way.

You might have a pinched wire somewhere, shorted electronics maybe a relay thats bad.

You put in a 20 amp and you mght wind up with all the things ive sugest on top of melted wires.

Usually they rn wires together so if you put in a larger fuse and it melts wires it culd take out others with it stuff that may keep your engine from running correctly.

Right now the fogs not working is a minor issue it might turn serious if you up the amps on the fuse.

Do some more research on the fogs before you test the smoke theory.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would suggest you take it back to the dealer to get it repaired under warranty.
That is what the warranty is for, These little headaches.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
except for the part where he has aftermarket stuff installed that will let the dealer refuse him warrantied repair for that

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Do everyone a favour and take the HIDs out of you stock reflector housings until you can do a proper HID retrofit. Problem solved [thumb]

·
Registered
788 Posts
except for the part where he has aftermarket stuff installed that will let the dealer refuse him warrantied repair for that
And possibly for all electrical warranty claims from here forward, unless he wants to invest the time., money and energy to fight the warranty denial.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Most likely you are going to be on your own for this one. With the HID's installed, you aren't going to get warranty on anything related to that part of your electrical system. Since the fog lights will be part of that, you are going to be stuck on your own to figure it out.

It is a little odd, as I am assuming that you already had your headlights on and running when you switched on your fog lights. If it was that you tried to start your fog lights at the same time as the headlights, then it might have been because of the initial draw that the ballast require at startup.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Damage control time.
It should be relatively easy to reverse the Hid Installation.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm tired of the issues with HIDs. All the junk needed to run them in ny headlights, all the fuse blowing mess for my fogs. I'm going back to halogen until projectors come out. Maybe just buy some Sylvania bulbs that are slightly whiter than stock. Who knows.

And just saying. If I put my halogen bulbs back in my car. The dealership would have no clue I had HIDs in there. You honestly think they would? Lol

So ill post up what happens. I'll replace the HIDs back to stock today and put another new 15 amp fuse in and see if they work.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The ballast is the part of the HID that is the weak link on these cheaper kits. Its the part everyone has problems with.

I agree its alot of extra junk just to run them and the good ones are way over priced. Not really worth it IMO

I wonder what better made ballasts would run?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no clue why but just got done taking all the HIDs out and replaced the fuse and everything works perfectly again. Tested my bulbs and ballasts on the girlfriends car and they work just fine. Oh well. I'll save then til projectors come out.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Bad connection? a short somewhere?

Can you open the balasts? maybe you have a bad connection inside the balasts and when you took em out you wiggled the connection just enough to work good again?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts