Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out a way to keep the backup camera clean in the snow and salt? I clean the thing before I leave for work and by the time I get there it's pretty much useless from the amount of salt build up. Mud flaps maybe?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mud flaps don't make a difference either. Its the shape of the focus, it creates a huge vacuum against the bum when at speed that sucks all the crud in from under/over and around. I have tried adding little lip spoilers etc to avoid this but it still does it

If you could remove the vacuum the rear would stay cleam but your mpg and handling would degrade a LOT

·
Registered
495 Posts
On my wife's Mazda 3 I had thought about adding a washer nozzle to help clean it. However, where it is a leased vehicle I decided against this.

if you have an existing rear washer system. It wouldn't be hard to add one to the existing line. It is an option. although I'm not sure that it would be 100% effective without a wiper of some sort. Which would be a bit overkill...

Hmmmmm.... I wonder what people did before backup cameras were on vehicles...... First World Problems......lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
apply wax or rain-x to it and see if it will bead the water and stuff off
We have tried Carnauba Wax and RainX..... They both work OK for plain old rain water, not so much for the salty/dirty winter road water. At first is seems OK putting around the neighbourhood. As soon as you hit a wet highway or any speed over 35/40, she's covered.

It's the really fine mist (higher speeds) stuff that really sucks. Specially when it's really cold. It pretty much hits the surface wet and dries instantly. Leaving behind the salt/dirt. there is no time for the Wax/barrier layer to allow the water to roll off.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone tried to add a nozzle? Would be a great mod, any ideas on how to run the hose?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
This problem is like the one folks with backup sensors have.. They are covered in snow and the car gets crazy.
One reason i bought a 2014 ST instead of a 2015 is no backup nonsense. It snows here. I have no need to add more crazy stuff which will go insane if it can't see.. IE SNOWING.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you found a nozzle with the right spray pattern & angle to wash the lens (as in that video) it COULD be done, and I'm sure someone will one day.

Wiper/washers for headlights have been done, so far not found worthwhile for inclusion on all cars.

·
Registered
495 Posts
tapping into the existing hose for the rear nozzle and running your hose down the pillar of the hatch door would probably be the easiest and most effective way.

Bingo, good call! [twothumbs]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts