Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to see what input I can get from everyone on choosing between these two?

Also anyone know the best price on these?

Would love to here any positive/negative experience on them.

Thanks,

Peter[thumb]

·
Registered
291 Posts
do a search and you will find more then enough info on the two, maybe even decide on a different one.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Why are you comparing a CAI & SRI against each other? Which type of intake do you want?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
best performance/quality for the $$

I am looking to get the one that works best in california weather, well made and good performance and not $$$$$$ selling a kidney.

I was not trying to compare apples and oranges with the SRI vrs CAI, I just really don't know if the real world performance differance is there? So The two that im deciding on are just the two that feel pretty good to me and the AEM CAI is a few $$ more and im ok with it if it's worth it? trying to here from people who have first hand experience.

Thanks for the replies,

Peter

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Hey Peter it's all good. I assume it's a relatively dry climate where you live? If so the CAI is going to net you a few extra ponies. Is it worth the increased filter maintenance, I dunno. I've never ran a CAI on any vehicle. I have the Typhoon BTW and absolutely love it. IIRC they do cost more so that's why I suggested the Steeda as it is a known solid perfromer and sounds great for less cash. Another SRI to consider would be the HIA intake from Wayne, he's a sponsor here I think so look that up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
just get the one thats cheaper all intakes for the SVT give the same ballpark gains, there may be 1-3 HP difference in an extreme case. It really comes down to who you want to suppport IMO.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The AEM intake is dyno-proven to give more power than a short ram, however you can be sure they picked the best damn dyno run they could, and who knows how many runs they did to get one with such good gains. I forget the numbers but it was more than 1-3 horsepower, it was more like 7 or 8 horsepower.

I have the AEM CAI and I like it. Personally I'm not worried about hydrolock because I don't even drive the car in the rain. In hot Los Angeles summer weather you're going to have heat soak bad with a short ram intake, since the only air your intake will be getting at slower speeds will be very hot underhood air. However the underhood location of the filter will keep it cleaner longer, since the AEM CAI places the filter a few inches above the road surface.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
You think the road surface in hot climates, say at a light, may have the same heat suck as underhood? Asphalt is usually way hotter than ambient temps. Dunno, just a thought. I'm always in places with mad snow & rain so a CAI is a no go for me, not with a $6K engine under lots of warranty anyway, lol. I may end up getting the AEM cai to use for track events and such. One thing I forgot to mention about the K&N Typhoon is that it will contact a strut tower bar if you ever get one of those. The contact can be lessened enough but there are times when it still hits.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
That's a good point, the road is going to be hot as well, but the underhood temps are going to be hotter still.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have just installed a K&N SRI last weekend from c-f-m.com was $180, free shipping. I live in Florida so get hot air and possibility of hydrolock in summer, which is why I choose SRI.
Was easy to install, you leave the original intake pipe from above the grill to the box so some cool air will get under the hood when moving.
As its only 6hp gain, I did not notice any significant power increase just sounds faster, nice throaty noise of air being sucked in.
If you want pictures email me and I will take some and send them to you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
SVT4ME said:
The AEM intake is dyno-proven to give more power than a short ram, however you can be sure they picked the best damn dyno run they could, and who knows how many runs they did to get one with such good gains. I forget the numbers but it was more than 1-3 horsepower, it was more like 7 or 8 horsepower.
i hope you mean 7-8 at the crank which may be possible but to the wheels its not likely

·
Registered
622 Posts
Focuzzz your a tool, don't tell people to buy the cheapest one. You get what you pay for. I purchased the K&N typhoon CAI and it is incredible, worth every bit of the 210 paid. Unbelievable sound on a stock exhaust, and great power and throttle response gains. And everyone is soooooo afraid of getting water in their CAI, maybe they all need to learn not to drive through deep puddles. Seriously, if you don't know how deep it is, don't drive through it. I looked, and if water is getting into my filter under my bumper, then it is also getting into the cabin at the bottom of the doors, which are slightly lower. If you driving into puddles deep enough to soak and suck into your CAI, then your feet are already wet and you deserve to hose your engine.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I run an AEM CAI in Fla.

It's not too risky, I keep the MAF tube from the stock intake in the back of the car, so if it is REALLY rainy out, I can just pop off the top half of the AEM and pop on the stock MAF tube with a cone filter (basically a homemade SRI) It takes about 5 minutes to change over.

I really notice a difference stock box/SRI vs. the CAI.

·
Registered
79 Posts
cliff4ever said:
Focuzzz your a tool, don't tell people to buy the cheapest one. You get what you pay for. I purchased the K&N typhoon CAI and it is incredible, worth every bit of the 210 paid. Unbelievable sound on a stock exhaust, and great power and throttle response gains. And everyone is soooooo afraid of getting water in their CAI, maybe they all need to learn not to drive through deep puddles. Seriously, if you don't know how deep it is, don't drive through it. I looked, and if water is getting into my filter under my bumper, then it is also getting into the cabin at the bottom of the doors, which are slightly lower. If you driving into puddles deep enough to soak and suck into your CAI, then your feet are already wet and you deserve to hose your engine.
ok come talk to me when you stop getting butt hurt over the internet. When almost every intake out gives about the same gains. [xx(]

·
Registered
507 Posts
I really want a typhoon guys. Screw the aem cai I've got.Imean she not bad, but With all this talk of how great the typhoons are, I'm getting one. who and where to get it for 210.00

1 - 20 of 27 Posts