Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after my crash I found that the entire intake assembly before the throtle body is destroyed. Instead of replacing with OEM I think it would be wise to upgrade. I did some research on here and decided the cost effective option is the K&N. Ebay has two options.

1) K&N 69-3513 Typhoon. This is the most expensive, but the one that has the most feed back on the site.

3) 118HP 57-0595. Cheap as hell. Only about 150 bucks. Still claims to be compatable with the 2008.

Anyone use anything other than the 69-3513. From the installation instructions, for both models, it appears you do not need any existing hardware before the throtle body. Both versions connect directly to the inlet side (Utilizing a new rubber hose). Is this true?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Most of us run the FSWerks Cool flow Race Intake or the Steeda SRI kit. Both run $200 and work great. I am using the FSWerks intake and it replaces everything with a nice big tube/filter and relocates the filter right behind the drivers side fog light (where the cold are is)

I have no experience with K&N other then drop in replacement filters (9 years on my ranger)

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
My friend has the k&n typhoon. I myself will recommend staying away from it. Noisy as hell and not much of a difference.

Only one good and right way to go is fswerks. That's imo...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
FSWERKS Cool Flo or Steeda SRI all the way.

I have the Steeda but would totally recommend the FSWerks to anyone.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I ran the Typhoon for awhile. I would get really bad heat soak in the summer. There's not much of a heat shield there unlike the Steeda. Also the FSWerks and Steeda are much better quality.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Buyer beware. Ford spent millions and years developing that intake. It was designed to work with harmonics to "force induct" air. Although onlu at a specific rpm range. By chamging it out you run the risk of losing performance in some areas and fuel econ. Aftermarket may bump hp but where it happens is what you need to look for. I wouldnt go by any manufacturers claim as there is no standard to verify it. You will have to rely on what others report as gains and performance....

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Ford also has to develop the stock intake to reduce and limit noise. The aftermarket does not have to do that. If you look at the stock intake it has many Helmholtz silencers on it and isnt very free flowing. I got a big difference in sound and power by just putting the Steeda on my 08 and that was without the tune. With the intake, exhaust, and tune now it is almost a completely different car.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as an update I finished installing my fsworks CAI this weekend. simple and easy; however I have a line with no where to put it? I see where the 1 line goes on top on the CAI, but my stock one has two lines? There is fitting on the bottom of the CAI, but the directions tell me to cap it off, and the line is the wrong size anyway?

Any help will be appreciated

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Yes utilize the bottom part of the intake. I believe the one one the side is for the valve cover breather..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts