Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13 Ti hatch dct , anyone else running the K&N with the open end, i just run mine open for 2 weeks but had to put the little rubber piece back in because it just bogs down way to much during normal round town driving,almost undrivable ,dont get me wrong when your on it its good but you got keep it above 3k revs ,wondered what others thought of theirs, also my average mpg dropped to 26-27 from like 29-30

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i am using the green filter open ended drop in which i assume is very similar and i have no issues with mine. love it!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just think the open end is more for noise (IMHO) - the stock air box set up is a CAI to start with so once you open the end up, you are defeating it sucking in air that is warmer from the engine bay. On the other hand, plenty of folks with open-end filters/CAIs (short ram really) with no issues. I can't believe I am recommending this....but....have you for shits and grins tried a tank of premium fuel?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aftet market filters are a waste of time. The standard air filter on the focus is massive and can easily flow more air than our engines need. The filter works fine on the Focus RS MR340 pack and that is for the 2.5 turbo. There was an independant test on filters where the highest flowing air filter compared to the paper, only flowed 0.90% more air than paper. The key to more flow is how the intake tubes, inlet manifold and cylinder head is designed. I have tried different filters on my 1.6 Ecoboost and all have performed the same with no increase in power and that's with a remap. Plus the aftermarket filters don't filter out particles that are bigger than 10 microns and they are the ones that cause damage to engine and increase wear.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Aftet market filters are a waste of time. The standard air filter on the focus is massive and can easily flow more air than our engines need. The filter works fine on the Focus RS MR340 pack and that is for the 2.5 turbo. There was an independant test on filters where the highest flowing air filter compared to the paper, only flowed 0.90% more air than paper. The key to more flow is how the intake tubes, inlet manifold and cylinder head is designed. I have tried different filters on my 1.6 Ecoboost and all have performed the same with no increase in power and that's with a remap. Plus the aftermarket filters don't filter out particles that are bigger than 10 microns and they are the ones that cause damage to engine and increase wear.
we have a different engine in the USA. It's a 2.0 N/A engine. no turbo. it responds very well to aftermarket filters. there are MANY dyno test proving this. 8-10 WHP by upgrading to a highflow filter.

a couple threads:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...ance-2012-current/290655-mk3-dyno-thread.html

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...mance-2012-current/297795-snorkel-delete.html

2012+ Ti-VCT intake kit test! Results with dyno graphs inside!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Even my ST saw an increase from an airaid filter and heat shield kit. I was the guinea pig for their kit and they said they definitely saw gains, stock tune.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't the high flow filters cause increased engine wear by allowing more particles into the intake?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Don't the high flow filters cause increased engine wear by allowing more particles into the intake?
yes but how much is debateable. I've had cars personaly and have friends who have cars with high flow filters go hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did a bit of research and the AEM DryFlow filter seems to filter much better than the cotton-gauze oiled filters. From the ISO-5011 tests I have been able to find, K&N seemed to have an efficiency of around 96% while the AEM filters had an efficiency of just over 99%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts