Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I could not resist and got the K&N Air Intake two days ago.
Installed it today and am slightly impressed.
My question is, Is winter the wrong time for an air intake? I see some ppl install their factory intakes "for winter" what's that supposed to mean?

Tomorrow I will install new tires (Pirelli P6 Four Season) and new shocks (KYB GR2)
For a car parts noob is all the above ok (I mean better than average)?

Or could I have done better.

My ZX5 is an ATX and thats the sadest part.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome to the board, i dont know about your tire and suspension choices but an intake is a good start, I have the Autotragic as well, my mods are in my sig, what color is your Foci?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the response buddy,

My ZX5 is pitch Black.

by January-February of the coming year, I plan to build up the ATX and raplace the exahust system completley including muffler/catback and headers. That should shave of atleast a 1.5 seconds of the quater mile right? Although I am not into racing, but I hate the lag when u try to overtake cars on the high way, I am a very aggressive driver :)

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
some people do it because of the increased load of dirt and debris in the winter. Some people also have long tube CAI's (Cold Air Intakes) and these can suck up water and crap from the ground much quicker.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The GR-2 isn't a bad strut. It is OE equipment for the Lotus Elan M100 and Isuzu Impulse RS, and XS. If Lotus uses it in their suspensions it cant be that bad can it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gotta say the intake sounds real nice, but the power increase is mid to high rpm, is that normal?
What do I need to do to dramatically boost 0-60 time without actually replacing the car, lol

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
thats about all you are gonna get with a short ram style intake is mid to high range pick up, in order to bolster low end power, you may need a TB, which won't make much HP but will help tremendously with throttle response, and possibly full exhaust, and then a good dyno tune.

·
Registered
206 Posts
TB stands for throttle body, as far as a 1.5 second reduction with headers and a catback exhuast thats not possible, im not saying it cant be done however, your Foci like so many others came from the factory with different cam timing, that and the auto tranny eats up a LOT of power, I think more than 20%, I had mine dynoed back in August and with an open intake my best run was 94.4 hp and 99.7 lb ft of torque, like I said all Focis put down different numbers, do a search and see what you come up with, as soon as I get my flex pipe installed im gonnna do another run and see what I picked up.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
As said above the gr2 is above average good quality stuff, the tires are good choices also, the air intake, though we all discuss them to death, they all probably help a little but are not going to make 20 h.p. by themselves, but three to five is reasonable, I have an injen and am happy with it the K&n looks fine too

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I test drove the car today, and I can definatley see a difference in overall performance, the tires might need some breaking in, but atleast I ain't gettting no road noise from the previously installed FireHawks that were worn out unevenly by the damaged rear shocks.

The shocks seem to be a little stiffer then what I expected, KYB claims that they are tuned more for a comfort ride. But overall the car is now 15% more fun to drive :).

How much does this TB(throttle body) cost? And were can I get one?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Something I forgot to ask, what kind of budget do you have and are you going to have all motor or forced induction (turbo, NOS, supercharger)?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the K&N FIPK2. You definitely don't see the power until you're moving. If you punch it from a dead stop your car boggs down.....did that happen to you? I have an autotragic and one a good day she gets moving. The K&N intake from the looks of it seems to provide more than enough air flow for any Focus. More so that any other intake I'd like to guess.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
air flow isn't always the most important factor, air temperature plays a huge role. Short ram style intakes such as the FIPK2 all have the same tendency to bog down a little bit when you drop the hammer from dead stop, truth be told, this is fairly common for most foci. (I have never had this problem with my 5spd, but I've been told this problem happens for everyone). The bogging will happen even with the stock system. As far as moving more air than any other you'd be surprised, I don't know much about the FIPK2 beyond it's a K&N filter on a stick, but I imagine you get the same amount of air approximately as everyother cone filter short ram system. In order to see any more power increase you'd have to go with a cool air intake, which would not only increase air flow, but also reduce the air charge temperature, which is probably the biggest player in power increase for a Naturally aspirated intake system.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
just compare dynos. the long tubes put up better #s than the short ram. its just not as safe depending on ur climate.

if ur getting a short ram just go the cheapest route. maybe even just throw a cone filter on ur stock set up... in the long run, if u are serious about performance u will end up getting rid of the short ram and getting something more consistent that will not only flow more, but flow more cool air, like the volant, fc, and ice man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
for you guys just starting to build your focus a cool air intake is where most people plan to start, but to build a focus that will turn some heads at the track you must go quite further than just an intake and some plug wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
and for you euro zx3 cyour information is a bit off a short ram out performed the iceman, k&N, V2, and almost all other full length cool air. i cant stress enough that the ONLY reason cool air is better than regular is because cool airs molecules are closer together and it allows more airflow, as the same does a short ram but with out the price tag and the pointless cooling.
13.8 1/4 mile

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
focus why the assumptions? everyone knows that u need more than an intake and plug wires to go fast. i hope u werent thinking i was saying my 3 little mods make my focus a bad ass. lol. anyway, my info isnt off about a short ram. the short ram will not out perform an ice man, volant, or focus central.

air molecules closer together? go back to high school or read your old phsyics book. cold air is more dense not "closer together" more dense air, the more oxygen, the more oxygen, the more powerful combustion.

short rams sit under a hood with very hot engine temps and suck in a lot of hot air, even with the ram air hood, u will still see better gains from a ram air hood with a volant or a fc because the box blocks off engine heat.

everyone that has a short ram knows the car loses power (dyno proven) on the low end, and it runs slower when the car is running at normal temps.

take this from a guy thats had every kind of intake on the focus to give people feedback like i did in this thread....

anyway, back to my original statement, if ur going for serious performance dont waste time on a short ram, if u want a lil kick in the pants and a louder engine just get a ram, or throw a filter on the end of the stock tube, which is better than a lot of the aftermarket tubes out there. i can elaborate more if u guys want

·
Registered
7 Posts
euro,
i don't doubt your knowledge of the focus, but in the same perspective, with enough mods, the short ram does not bog down or lose power "with enough mods" you need all the air you can get not just more combustible. i ran a 14.2 a 14.4 and a 14.1 with an aem fully. then got an injen short ram and ran high 13's all day long.
13.8 quarter mile focus

1 - 20 of 37 Posts