Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so since about 5k miles I've been sporting a cheapo Spectre air filter element covered with a couple of ladies polyester panty hose on the end of my MAF tube, but recently I came across a deal for the K&N FIPK that I couldn't pass up. I even thought about selling it to make some money because I got it so cheap- $130 off typical internet price.

Last weekend I finally got around to installing it, and now the testing begins. I can't say that the K&N has delivered gobs of power vs the Stealth. If there is a difference it's minor, and for all I know, might merely be the difference between a new element and the old one which had been around for 30k miles or more.

My best efficiency marker is seeing if I'm going to get better fuel economy. I drive the same route to work every week, and I've been returning a regular 29 mpg- although one tank saw 32 mpg. I don't know why I got 32 mpg that one week, and haven't since. Maybe I had a few trips home in the evening where I didn't have to use the AC. Typically I go to work without the AC on, and return home with it on. As far as driving style goes, that does change sometimes depending on how the other vehicles on the road are being driven. I try not to floor it unless I have no other good choice.

I'm just barely through the first tank, and it seems as if I'm going to hit that 32 mpg mark. I'm not going to let that rest, and more than one tank is needed to determine if there has been any change.

More later...

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
I had the plastic K&N for a while. good power vs stealth. No notes on mpgs but every once in a while I would get p0171 (lean). Keep an eye on it, I think the MAF piece is just a little off on some of them/ for some cars

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a P0171 today. I cleared it and we'll see if it appears. Right now I'm on a stock tune, but I have 2 tunes from tuners that might keep that from happening if it's a result, as Buick says, of the FIPK.

Mileage looks to be in the 34 mpg range so far, but I'm not done with the first tank yet.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I've had the FIPK or if your referring to the Typhoon intake on my Focus not long after I bought it and have never had issues with codes . But I did take care in putting the MAF back in and had the neg battery cable off the whole time while I was working with it so the ECU would reset itself .

Now I need to find some wood to knock on so I haven't jinxed myself into getting a code . [:)]

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
^^This last step is important when altering intake components, a relatively mild mod in the case of an FPIK. Computer-controlled fuel-air systems will “relearn” the new airflow conditions and incorporate them into the air-fuel mapping, along with spark and O2 sensor readings. If you haven’t done too much more (stock exhaust, ahem!), a third party tune probably won’t be needed.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had the FIPK or if your referring to the Typhoon intake on my Focus not long after I bought it and have never had issues with codes .
It's the plastic one. I'm a performance not looks kind of person. I reset the A/F after the mod. The main reason I got it was that it would be easier for me to do some other experiments.

First tank yielded 31 mpg. That's about typical for this car. I was hoping it would be more like 34, but 31 with the AC on for the ride home is good for me.

It does seem to have more ummph, and isn't nearly as sluggish with the AC on.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Posted via FF MobileI finally got around to adding a new throttle body on mine last year before winter. And with it my intake and header and exhaust , I still get pretty good gas mileage if I can keep my foot out of the motor.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
comma splice [hihi]

I too got one of these for mad cheap a few years ago. Ended up selling it instead of installing it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts