Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for a good air filter to increase performance and sound. Is the K & N typhoon a good bet, they seem like a good company? It seems like there are too many bad things about AEM. Anybody got some advice for a good filter and other upgrades such as increasing gas mileage? Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
What have you heard that makes the AEM bad? Do you want a filter or a complete intake system? The Typhoon isn't just a filter, it's a complete intake system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wanted a K&N, but not any more (after a lot of research), because I would like to keep my car for a very long time.
If you plan on racing and keeping your car for about 100K and then selling it, yes, K&N has great air flow and does what they promise -- increases performance, but I'm more concerned about long-term engine wear and not letting dust and sand in, so I stayed with OEM paper.

·
Registered
711 Posts
dont the drop-in K&N filters trap more dirt than regualr filter? thought that was the second part to why there filters are so great, better flow better performance? humm oh well got hat 5yr/100k mile powertrain warrenty =)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Ma-fia said:
I wanted a K&N, but not any more (after a lot of research), because I would like to keep my car for a very long time.
If you plan on racing and keeping your car for about 100K and then selling it, yes, K&N has great air flow and does what they promise -- increases performance, but I'm more concerned about long-term engine wear and not letting dust and sand in, so I stayed with OEM paper.

im confused, i thought thats one of the benefits of K&N; they trap more dust and sand? [???:)]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check out this page: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php
They have a whole forum dedicated to filters.

In brief -- K&N has much better air flow than OEM, but that means that its "holes" are larger, therefore more dust coming in. Dust particles increase engine wear. Everyone has to choose what's more important to them: 0.005% hp increase at 4500 rpm or longevity of the engine. For me the engine is much more important; for others who like racing hp might be more important. On the above mentioned site a lot of people do used oil analysis in order to check for engine ware, particles that shouldn't be in the oil, etc. etc. For me their experience was proof enough to stay away from K&N.
Simple example: try to breath trough a piece of gauze and through your shirt. Then pour sand and dust on gauze and on your shirt. K&N is more like gauze.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts