Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see K&N are claiming a 10 hp gain with their air filter. What do you guys think? Does anyone have any real world numbers? Hard to believe a 10 hp gain with just an air filter.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I see K&N are claiming a 10 hp gain with their air filter. What do you guys think? Does anyone have any real world numbers? Hard to believe a 10 hp gain with just an air filter.
2ish And where do you see this claim?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yeah right. Look at the numbers on those and the CAI's. Sure they claim x amount of horsepower. But then look at the RPM's that the horsepower gains come into play. It's like near the redline. Honestly, how many people rev to near the redline between gears?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Isn't K&N overrated?!?! That's why I oppted out. [dunno]
No they're not "over rated" they make a quality product, their filters anyways.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I do not worry about the claims or 'prove it' sort of stuff.
I like the K&N. I had two for my SVT. (one I modified to look just like the stock SVT Contour air filter, using the bullet nose from an original..)
I use a K&N on my 2012.

Looking at the K&N website, i can only find horsepower claims for the intake systems they offer for earlier model Focus.
Those have from 3+ hp increase on several, to 5hp+ on another bunch, to two with 11hp+ claims on the intake system addition.
Seems they are doing thier homework on the stuff.
I could not find the hp claim for the E-2993 that fits the 2012 Focus (and a big pile of other cars..)

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
You will not gain 10 hp on a 160 hp engine by changing the filter. That's a 6% gain. I swear common sense in this world has gone the way of the Dodo and dinosaur.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
in installed a CAI and k/n filter on my old focus and didn't notice any increase in performance over OEM. just sayin.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just put the K&N drop in filter in my SVT, and I know I'm not going to feel a performance gain, but it sure does smooth out the throttle response a lot. It doesn't bog as easy off the line anymore. That is NOT something I expected.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was just looking at a K&N intake for myself and they claim an estimated 5.24hp @ 5400 rpm.
Exactly what I'm saying. The HP you get from a filter/CAI isn't like it's available all the time, only when you are revving the heck out of your engine. I think the only way the 6 speed auto would get near redline is if you were flat out pedal to the metal going top speed. So if you are going the typical highway speed (limit), it's not like you are going to have all that HP on tap. I think a CAI is fine if you are also doing other engine mods such as a catback exhaust or headers, but by itself it's not like you are going to throw just a K&N or similar CAI/filter on by themselves and get this noticible power increase. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hold a freshly oiled K&N up to the sunlight and have alook through it. I stopped using them on my daily drivers years ago. I didn't need independent test data to verify my conclusion.
Paper filters are cheap and efficient. JMHO.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hold a freshly oiled K&N up to the sunlight and have alook through it. I stopped using them on my daily drivers years ago. I didn't need independent test data to verify my conclusion.
Paper filters are cheap and efficient. JMHO.

There are plenty of independent studies that show K&N filters flow much better than paper filters however, they don't filter as well, which seams to be the trade off. K&N's filter enough to keep large particles that can damage your engine out. I know people who use them on all sorts of off road equipment including Dune Buggies and don't have issues. In my 10 years of experience running K&N and other types of oiled filters I've never had an issue caused by dirty air, including the often overstated issues of over oiled filters.

So, I would suggest that your sunlight experiment is fundamentally flawed, and that you do need an independent study to reference. Because you've clearly missed the mark on this one.

Go Jets!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
MY experience with my last car, a Contour SVT which spent a considerable portion of the engine's 110,000mile life at over 5,000rpm.
After 110,000 miles with only a K&N on the intake, that engine still was absolutely making OE specified maximum horsepower.
So nothing wore out there in 110,000 miles...
The complaint of 'not filtering' is just not holding up IMO.

Perhaps the reality is the tiniest particles do NOT have to be filtered out to stop engine wear?
That test website does not show any data for this. It is all 'theory'
And yeah, in theory for the stock Focus filter WILL keep the tiniest particles out, at the expense of performance.
So take theory and less performance. or better flow and performance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have run a K&N on my cars for the last 14 years. Totaling over 700,000 miles. I've never had any problems. Two drop ins, and two Short rams. 3 of them on Nissan Sentra SR20DE's. I've noticed the gas mileage increase with every car after I installed them, especially with the short ram intake, and the power increase with the short ram was noticeable too. My SVT is the first one I've ever noticed that the drop in actually increased throttle response. IMO the SVT really likes the K&N drop in filter, and I will run it without a second thought for as long as I own the car. I'll keep you posted on whether or not the gas mileage increases. Before the drop in, it was getting 30-35mpg hwy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts