Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so...
I used to have a '98 Dodge Avenger, very similar to an Eclipse. Anyway one time I hit a pothole and after that it drove really loud. Took it to the shop and they told me it was a wheel bearing. Long story short, I just sold the car and got an '06 ZX3.

Now I know that all the little 5-speed 4-bangers idle pretty hard because I also used to have a '98 ZX2 which I loved. But whenever I start driving I notice that my car gets louder and it's not from the engine because I checked by just coasting in Neutral.

So is this normal? Its not ridiculously loud like it was in my Avenger, but its noticeable. Im just trying to figure out if im paranoid or not. I love my Focus and I dont want anything to happen to it [bawling]

How loud are everyone else's cars when they're driving???

·
Registered
438 Posts
Does it sound like exhaust?
Does it vibrate? Motor mounts are common failures, especially the pass side hydraulic unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i dont think its the exhaust. I sounds like its coming from the front and more from the passenger side like you said. also i get a rattle from the passenger side too. its almost like a tie rod rattle but the tie rods are fine. so idk what that would be either.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i dont think its the exhaust. And no vibrations. Thats why i dont think its the wheels at all. It sounds like its coming from the front and more from the passenger side like you said. also i get a rattle from the passenger side too. its almost like a tie rod rattle but the tie rods are fine. so idk what that would be either.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
8 Posts
Before I changed passenger mount my focus 2001 was so lud with so noticeable jumps between gears, once I got new mount it speeds so smoothtly on the highway. As materr of fact engine had to rise a couple of inches to fit new mount. I think axle was loer than required

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hell, The BIGGEST noise complaint is ACTUALLY form the tires.....

on ALL "small cars".... And some bigger ones as well...

Need more info here to even GUESS what noise is the issue...

·
Registered
438 Posts
The rattle you are refering to in the front, does it happen over bumps going down the road? Sway bar end links are common for causing those rattles. You need to unbolt them to be able to diagnose, at least one end.
Tire and road noise are very prevalent in these small cars as well.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
To determine if it's a wheel bearing or tire noise, jack the vehicle so the tires are off the ground. Then rotate the wheel by hand and listen. Bad wheel bearings make a low roaring sound, but you can expect a scraping sound from the brakes which would be normal.

Also inspect your tires carefully. Feel the tread for uneven wear that would indicate suspension problems, and look for bubbles, or chunks missing in the tread. Sometimes tire problems are not easy to diagnose. The tread can separate from the sidewall, and make lots of noise. The car will also dive to that side during turns making you think that you have a bad strut on that one side. I'm not entirely sure what to look for to find that tire damage while looking at the tire on the vehicle, but I know it can be diagnosed because my super smart tire guy told me that the problems I was having with my wife's van were due to one tire- and he was right.

As far as just normal tire noise, the Goodyear Eagle RSA tires that came on my vehicle were much louder than the Continentals or Kumhos I've put on the same vehicle. If you're in need of tires, then be sure to question our other members in the appropriate forum about tire noise before purchasing. When shopping for tires on Tire-Rack and reading customer reviews- always pay attention to the vehicle that the customer listed. Sometimes certain tires perform well on large vehicles, but not small- and vice versa. Ignore all reviews from vehicles that are not similar to the one you're purchasing for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Im telling you guys right now that it isn't a wheel bearing. There's no vibration when I'm driving and from my experience with a bad bearing there definitely would be if it were that. And now that you've explained it, I'm betting that it is my tires. They're actually pretty wide tires... almost as wide as the tires on my mom's Maxima... Maybe when I get a set of winter tires put on, it will quiet down. To me that will be killing two chipmunks with one boomerang because It'll be snowing regularly here very soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rattle you are refering to in the front, does it happen over bumps going down the road? Sway bar end links are common for causing those rattles. You need to unbolt them to be able to diagnose, at least one end.
Tire and road noise are very prevalent in these small cars as well.
No, the rattle just randomly occurs. I've looked everywhere to see if it was a loose bolt or screw or something of the sort, but I'm just lost and have no clue what it could be. I even pulled away my splashguards to look for something in there... Like I said, it sounds just like a bad tie rod if you've ever heard one of them before.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Probably end links. You really need to remove them to diagnose. When there is tension on them, you can't feel the looseness in the bearing joint.
Pretty easy to swap out and relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably end links. You really need to remove them to diagnose. When there is tension on them, you can't feel the looseness in the bearing joint.
Pretty easy to swap out and relatively inexpensive.
Ok... ill check and see if theres anything on the forum about that then and we will see what happens [wave]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok... ill check and see if theres anything on the forum about that then and we will see what happens [wave]
Ok so i looked up the end link thingy in the search and people were talking about a clunking. my sound is not a clunking. its a rattling. so i dont thinks its that.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
My car was so quiet it made me mad. lol All I could hear was the tires. So I put a catback exhaust system on to solve that. :) My dad has a 98 zx2 as well. His car makes a rattling sound because there was a hole in his flex pipe. The previous owner put an exhaust system on his car also. But there was still a noticable rattling sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts