Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the title says, whats the best product and method to do this, is it better to unscrew it and take it out?

been having rough idle for a while and i'm pretty sure its either a dirty tb (haven't looked at it yet) or the IAC valve (<--- any info on that would also help)

thanks everyone

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I always like to take them off. Just easier to get at the backside of the throttle plate. And pretty much any throttle body cleaner from a parts store will do the same job.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
No need to take it off. When i clean my tb, just disconnect the intake off the tb. Get a tooth brush and spray it down with carb cleaner. Spray a little bit in ur TB closed. Then open it and spray a little in. Then go to work on cleanin the TB with the tooth brush. Then finish will a little more spray and wipe up the TB with a clean rag. Start the car, should be a little rough at first, possibly even stall, but its just the carb cleaner being pushed out the exhaust. Ive been cleanin my TB like this ever since i got into autos.

Also make sure the red hose is on good on the carb cleaner can. Sparyin the hose down the tb sucks.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If you have a rough idle, and you're cleaning things anyway, I'd clean the MAF too...

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
^^^ x2

My bet is on the maf. Thats really easy to clean too. Might as well do both. Oh, and use an electronics cleaner spray that specifically says "leaves no residue". Be VERY gentile, dont touch the little thermistor in there.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
A little FYI here.....I have a factory service manual for my '06. Nice reading when you've got some spare time (like six months maybe). Anyway, it specifically states "Do not attempt to clean the TB". It goes on to state that the TB has a special coating that will be damaged if you try to clean it.

Hummm....Don't know about that. I'd say try to clean the thing using the tooth brush method described above. A new TB is not that expensive.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
clean it ...clean it...clean it i have done mine and the 65mm ones do not have the "coating"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts