Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have $3200 saved up so far, going to my FS stg 2 turbo setup. Since I work at a cadillac dealership, I have access to lifts, and room to work on the vehicle myself. But, I have a few questions...

1) Keeping my 2.5" exhaust, with my cat-delete, will I be losing too much power?

2) What do I do with my CAI?

3) Will running 11 PSI on my stock internals be okay? Ive read that the crank has broken at 720whp, and I know im not going to be pushing anywhere near that, but as far as the pistons and conecting rods, will they be okay? Also will the crank bearings rip apart at 6k rpms?

4) Does the motor need to be dropped to fit the exhaust manifold, or the intercooler?

and lastly...

5) The sct flasher will come with the 11 psi boost tune, on what octane, and what if I want to run ~15psi?

Thanks for all the help guys, it's been a rough road debating on going NA or FI, and im glad I finally made the decision. It looks like about $5,000 and I can have it all set-up, hopefully with a new LSD also.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
You will be sittin pretty w/ a 2.5 in exhaust, I would say 3 inch may be slightly better, but 2.5 will be just fine!!

Sell ur CAI

11 psi isn't too much, I know more than one person who is running 15 psi and 250 whp on completely stock bottom ends.

The motor will not need to be dropped, you will prolly need to take apart the front end parts, but not the motor.

Get a custom tune from Tom, that will take care of everything!! 15 psi is alot for stock on a zetec, my personal opinion is get an electronic boost controller if you are going to be playing w/ boost, you don't want to go over ur limit. Is the EBC needed??, no it is not, but it is good to have a piece of mind.

You will definitely want an LSD!!!

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
he has a duratec engine

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
In my opinion, dealing with the duratec block, I am only going to run 8-9lbs of boost, when I build the bottom end, i'm going to be pushing 16-18lbs hopefully. If I'm not mistaken the weak points in the duratec block is the rods... As for the exhaust, should be fine, and sell you cai, you won't need it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Okay, so I have $3200 saved up so far, going to my FS stg 2 turbo setup. Since I work at a cadillac dealership, I have access to lifts, and room to work on the vehicle myself. But, I have a few questions...

1) Keeping my 2.5" exhaust, with my cat-delete, will I be losing too much power?

you will be fine with 2.5" exhaust. that is what i run on my SRT4 and it works perfectly. you might want to think about getting a 3" down pipe to help with your spool up though.

2) What do I do with my CAI?

there are two options here. you can either sell it and get some of your money back from it, or if it is bigger than what comes with the kit, and you don't mind hacking on it, then use it for your intake instead of what comes with the kit.

3) Will running 11 PSI on my stock internals be okay? Ive read that the crank has broken at 720whp, and I know im not going to be pushing anywhere near that, but as far as the pistons and conecting rods, will they be okay? Also will the crank bearings rip apart at 6k rpms?

i'm not too familiar with the dura engine but with the zetec, the internals are only good until around 250whp. if you are really worried about it, get some forged internals, and if you do, get lower compression pistons so that you can turn up the boost safely. just to give you an idea, my SRT4 has 8.1:1 compression pistons and i am running around 350whp on 24psi.

4) Does the motor need to be dropped to fit the exhaust manifold, or the intercooler?

no, you will have to take the bumper off for the IC but you will not have to drop the motor.

and lastly...

5) The sct flasher will come with the 11 psi boost tune, on what octane, and what if I want to run ~15psi?

your tune will need to be for 91 octane. like i said before i don't know much about the duras, but if you are going to up the boost to 15, to avoid getting any knock(predetonation), you will have to put race gas in. if you do up the boost, i would only advise it for short periods of time, with race gas, to prevent unneccessary(sp?) wear on the motor until you get new internals.

Thanks for all the help guys, it's been a rough road debating on going NA or FI, and im glad I finally made the decision. It looks like about $5,000 and I can have it all set-up, hopefully with a new LSD also.

definitely get the LSD. you will thank yourself in the end for spending the extra money.
good luck with the build.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the help guys. so looking at the focussport website, at 11psi boost, I should be pushing around 220-240 whp?

Does Tom have any feedback about this??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts