Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm in the market for a new car. Today, I test drove a Ti Focus and to put it mildly, I was rather impressed. While not as quick as the VW GTI I tested, it was nevertheless quick enough. The handling and brakes were spot on even though I drove at 6/10ths potential. All of the electronic gizmos were great, even though I heard the Sync system is buggy. Also, the car I might buy would have the 401A package, Ti handling package, sunroof and voice nav system. The MSRP for this would be $26,975.00. If anybody out there has some buying tips or can tell me what would be a good "street price" for the car, I would appreicate it. Good luck to all of you and maybe, just maybe I might be a Focus owner. Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the problems with sync and MFT aren't really an issue with those cars that were built after mid-August. It was the cars with earlier build dates that had problems. I've had my Ti for 2 weeks and I love it! No problems at all and lots of fun to drive. It's a great car.

I don't think anyone is paying MSRP. There is also a $500 rebate available in most regions. I've also heard that Ford is offering a winter package (which includes winter tires) as another incentive. Check out Edmunds.com and TrueCar to price out what others in your area are paying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to cottage and wisco - thanks for the heads up on the rebate and the words of wisdom about the Focus' speed. Cheers!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just purchased

I just purchased a 2012 Focus tit. I went through Costco and paid 2000 less then MSRP. Great buying experience for me. My MSRP was about the same as yours. I was told the wait would be between six and eight weeks.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
When the hell did Costco start selling cars?? Do you just walk down one of the giant aisles and point up high and be like, "I want that red one over there!" and they have it forklifted down for you to have it rung up at the registers? If that's the case I hope Costco starts selling Harrier jets and Apache helicopters too!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Costco has been selling cars as long as I have been a member.Over fifteen years.
Go on line and google Costco car buying. Within an hour of me filling out the form they set me up with a Ford dealer . There was no hasseling, they gave me their best price which was $ 400 cheaper then any dealer in my area. They offer their service for all makes of cars.

They also sell cofins and wedding dresses if you are interested

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The Titanium is not a direct competitor to the GTI, it's more like the fully loaded Golf/Jettas. The Focus ST will be, however.
Yeah I'd say if youre looking for a little more performance, maybe hold off until the ST comes out and then compare the ST to the GTI. Fully loaded titanium might be close to ST price range...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now I have the resources to buy a new car so i can't stall my purchase until the ST comes out. But when it does and if its great little car, i could always trade my relatively new car in. Food for thought....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Right now I have the resources to buy a new car so i can't stall my purchase until the ST comes out. But when it does and if its great little car, i could always trade my relatively new car in. Food for thought....
Your car will depreciate tremendously, so I don't recommend this. I learned this the hard way!

Why not try out a Turbo Beetle? I saw one of the '12s in black and I swear it looks like a Porsche hatchback. They did a great job!

·
Registered
2 Posts
A lurker speaks up. I drove a slick black hatch titanium with sport pack earlier today. Fun car with decent leather and lots of electronic wizardry. Apx $26k sticker. I slammed the poor salesman’s head against the window rounding a traffic light but did not come close to the limits of the suspension. Off the line the car stumbles but once in motion power is adequate and the exhaust rumbles. Loved the toggle switch and sport mode. Am I wrong for saying that? The lack of torque allows down shifting without jerking the car around. In traffic, toggle down twice and you get a turbo like boost.

Folks complain about the lack of horses, but isn’t it really about transferring usable power through the tires onto the pavement? I won’t even consider the Speed3 because it has too much power and feels a little cheap. If you rev a GTI too hard the turbo boosted wheel spin is embarrassing. In traffic and below 80 mph how much power do you really need your engine to produce?

With time I’m sure I could manage proper control over the GTI squeelies plus I appreciate the understated elegance of the VW. To me, the choice appears to be power verses leather and bells. I do not want the form over function of a true sports car. But practicality with some balls would be nice. Considering that I purchase cars once every ten years the choice is a real challenge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts