Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i know i haven't posted for a long while but that's a different story for next week but I just test drove a new focus and I loved it! It was just a base model but that's fine with me since it has the 5spd. Pretty sure I found my next car but im going to hold out and try to wait for the ST and (don't hate on me) I want to see what the new civic SI has to offer too. The focus was really nice and I just loved the feel of the whole car. Hopefully I can wait for the ST because I really want a new car. Ok im done. Peace.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had a similar experience during my test drive(s). Being in the market for a second vehicle and having checked out several makes / models, I knew I found my next car, too.

Cheers .... [cheers]

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I test drove the new focus last week and can away impressed too. Not sure about the 27k titanium price tag though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know about the Si, but even Consumer Reports pretty much lambasted the 2012 Civic. Don't know how the Si will stack-up against the standard model.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I test drove the new focus last week and can away impressed too. Not sure about the 27k titanium price tag though.
Well everyone still likes to quote the loaded price. But even so there are no Titaniums or SEL's to be found because they are all spoken for. So I guess people are OK in realizing that you get alot for the price in a small car.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the only reason im thinking about the SI is because it has the same engine as my dads TSX and I know for a fact that its a great one. I don't know to much about the one in the focus. But the focus does beet the civic in style for sure. 22K I think for a base SI with 201hp is bad at all. And I know there is going to be alot of aftermarket stuff for it to but with the focus its anyone guess how its going to be with that stuff especially if they bring tye ST over. I gusse we will have to see.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well the only reason im thinking about the SI is because it has the same engine as my dads TSX and I know for a fact that its a great one. I don't know to much about the one in the focus. But the focus does beet the civic in style for sure. 22K I think for a base SI with 201hp is bad at all. And I know there is going to be alot of aftermarket stuff for it to but with the focus its anyone guess how its going to be with that stuff especially if they bring tye ST over. I gusse we will have to see.
I just couldn't bear to pull up to a pump these days and have to pay for premium fuel in the SI.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well its probably going to be premium for the ST to.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Bumping a test drive thread instead of creating my own.

I was coming back from the Dr. today (whoohoo, I'm healthy!). Anyway, in my elated mood, I decided to stop in at a dealer, the very same one my Focus was originally bought at back in 2000.

So, I told the sales person of my interest in the ST. I also mentioned that I'd love to test drive a new Focus. He said he had a manual on the lot, and got the keys. It was a Focus SE with 16" steelies with their covers. Though I wanted to look at the hatch, they only had a manual in the sedan. Still, great looking car.

So, I took it out for a spin. Now, I warned the salesman that I was "rusty" with a manual. What I didn't tell him was though I've had practice in a few different cars, and never had any problems, this would be my first time taking it out on the open road.

There was no need for concern. The transmission was smooth. I found that if I put a bit too much gas on before taking out the clutch, the tires would chirp and the car would take off. I was shocked. This Focus has some get up and go.

Now, one of my big concerns was the electronic steering. I have a '00 Focus. Great handling, and you can feel it gripping the road.

The electric steering wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't feel like my arms went straight through the car down to the road. Still, I pressed it a bit hard through a turn. Not as hard as I'd do in my own Focus, but not because I didn't think it could handle it, only because this wasn't my car.

So how'd it handle? Great. Though I felt a bit detached from the road, it took no time to get used to. In fact, if it weren't for the feel of the wheel (which is very nice, by the way), and the fact that I was shifting, I almost could have forgotten I wasn't in my Focus.
This car is still a Focus.

Each turn felt like I was slowing down, and the Focus was just saying "come on, you know I can do better than that". It was pretty fantastic.

So, while at first I was a bit jarred by the numbness, I found that this car was more responsive, and maybe even a better handler than my own Focus. And it did it all with a smooth feel. The electric steering has a different feel, different, but not bad. Quite fun, really.

I'm still holding out for the ST. But I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of this Focus. I can only imagine what a faster engine, better suspension, and bigger tires will do for it. I really can't wait.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I think that the lack of feel issues with the EPAS are somewhat overstated. I've just hopped out of my Mondeo, with PAS, into the Focus and it felt no different at all.
Chris

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi, I think that the lack of feel issues with the EPAS are somewhat overstated. I've just hopped out of my Mondeo, with PAS, into the Focus and it felt no different at all.
Chris
I'm coming from an older Focus, with hydraulic steering.
I felt it to be different, but not bad. People should try it out before making assumptions, it really does handle quite well. It just feels like you get less feedback from the road.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Chris
I have 3 other vehicles besides the Focus, they all have a different feel to the steering. It's not a good or bad feel just different.

The Focus has a nice weighted feel that is responsive without being twitchy and it was not until I saw some folks on this forum complain about the electric assist that I was even aware the car had it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have 3 other vehicles besides the Focus, they all have a different feel to the steering. It's not a good or bad feel just different.

The Focus has a nice weighted feel that is responsive without being twitchy and it was not until I saw some folks on this forum complain about the electric assist that I was even aware the car had it.
If you didn't know what it was, you'd probably just think the steering was incredibly smooth. Honestly, it's not a bad thing, I actually liked it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts