Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
should i just get new springs for my zx4 or would it be better to get springs and dampers? and which springs and/or dampers would be the best for the money?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just fitted TEIN springs with Bilstein B8 Sport dampers to mine (Euro DFW 1.6). Not as low as I was hoping but pretty close (TEIN springs give a 50mm drop)

Firm ride, much reduced body roll, super sharp turn in. Generally the handling has been taken to another level.

The car bounces slightly now but I think that is down to the tyres that I have fitted which have soft side walls. A set of lower profile tyres should cure this and to finish it off a set of stiffer anti roll bars.

With this set up I think the car will be unbelievable.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i have the eibach pro-kit set up and i'm very happy with it. I got my wheels aligned and balenced afterwards and it reduced the bumpiness of the ride tremendously, so you may need to do that afterwards too.

I've only heard good things about tein as well, so cant go wrong with them. And i would suggest getting new dampers as well, because you could wear out your stock ones pretty quick if you just do springs, especially if they are a big drop.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
You can do it with just springs, but in the long run its better/cheaper to get the dampers replaced at the same time.

I just replaced my springs for the 2nd time.

Alignment, wheel balance = 75.00

Then when I get better dampers, I am going to put them on myself, then I have to pay for another alignment, so it would have been 50.00 cheaper to get it all done at once. But I am lazy....one project a month.

·
Registered
237 Posts
how much does it cost typically for springs and struts like the eibach kit? and install, is it easy or should i get this professionally done or could I have a friend who does stuff like this help me out?

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I did mine myself like I said, took 7 hrs. if you include going to rent the spring compressors from Autozone....free dollars with a 40.00 deposit.

If I had better tools, maybe 5 hrs. The rears only took 45 minutes as thats very easy, and you don't have to use the clamps.

Here is a link that gave me the courage to do the fronts myself. I had some noise after, but it was just because I didn't re-tighten the sway-bar end links with the springs compressed...fixed. Then I was rubbing in the back on dips because I am running 225/45/17's....I found another link to roll the fenders, and now it only rubs when I have passengers.

http://jason.hodges.cc/Welcome to the Focaljet Forums!.htm

1. You can find used springs on here for around 60-100 shipped.

2. I would get new struts and dampers, those run a pretty penny. Around 275-350 for a set....but they will outlast your car and determines the ride quality, so when you get tired of bouncing more than stock....you will get a set.

·
Registered
545 Posts
eibachs have a 1,000,000 mile warranty so that's a good thing for you. I got the dampers for 300 and the springs for 100.

The install was a bitch, but definately do-able by yourself. You'd pay a shop another 300 or so to have them do it. I did mine in 2 nights, took about 4 hours total.... funny story:

did the back dampers/springs the first night. And i managed to take off one of the stock dampers put the new bumpstops and hardware on it and then put it back on the car. Then the next night when i was doing the fronts, i look in the box and i am confused why there is an eibach back damper left. I felt like an idiot after that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts