Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just replaced my valve cover gasket on my 2001 focus, 2.0 DOHC zetec, as it was leaking oil slowly and burning on my heater coil. Now it runs like crap. It idles very rough, and will hardly go at all when given gas while driving. It wasn't doing any of that prior to the valve cover gasket replacement. I did notice a little oil in one of the spark plug wells prior to gasket replacement (one closest to passenger side).

Do I need to just replace the spark plugs? Or remove the oil on the spark plug somehow? Or replace spark plug wires? Maybe I didn't reattach something correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Did you get the plug wires installed back onto the plugs properly? Thats where I would start since it ran fine before you did the VC.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Instal the gasket correctly?
Check everything you touched.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
To add, YES you need to clean out the plug hole with oil in it.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
And plug wires must be in order and still good, common to yank them internally apart but they look fine on the outside on zetec. The upper plug boot and plug outside must be clean and dry of oil or short city OUTSIDE plug as said, of course that means no spark on INSIDE of plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so it seems that I did not replace one of the spark plug wires on the spark plug correctly. Thanks for the help y'all. I do wish my first posted thread on here would have been a little better than this. :)

Also, I noticed quite a bit of water coming out the exhaust after I replaced the plug wire correctly. It was just idling for maybe a couple minutes as I was checking for leaks (coolant was leaking from a hose connection, just repositioned the hose clamp). I haven't noticed this much water coming out the exhaust ever before. Any work that I would have done replacing the VC gasket could have caused this?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ok, so it seems that I did not replace one of the spark plug wires on the spark plug correctly. Thanks for the help y'all. I do wish my first posted thread on here would have been a little better than this. :)

Also, I noticed quite a bit of water coming out the exhaust after I replaced the plug wire correctly. It was just idling for maybe a couple minutes as I was checking for leaks (coolant was leaking from a hose connection, just repositioned the hose clamp). I haven't noticed this much water coming out the exhaust ever before. Any work that I would have done replacing the VC gasket could have caused this?

No not a valve cover gasket. How much water? Smell it. Does it smell like antifreeze? (sweet)

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
If you looked once in a while you'd find LOTS of water, it is one of the few things left over when the fuel burns, normal, especially with cold engine. What do you think the smoke is? Water vapor mainly.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you start it cold & let it idle without moving it for a while, you'll find puddles under the car as well from the exh. drip holes.

This is reduced to almost nothing when the exh. system warms up & the vapor goes out the pipe.

On a cold day in MN you'll see all the cars leaving a cloud of condensing vapor behind as they drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts