Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter did. 115k miles, sedan, S model I believe. Manual windows, manual door locks, no speed control, 5 speed (MTX-75 I assume). She loves it so far.

At least 1 question: Did these vehicles come without a space saver spare? There's most certainly room and place for one in the trunk. Maybe the spare was an unordered option?

There's a kit with an air compressor. No jack that I could see, but if no spare, I guess the jack wouldn't be of much use. Anyway, was the air compressor an option, or included with the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, a bit of Google searching yielded on this site:

My 08 focus came with an air compressor instead of a spare tire. My thoughts is to use fords complimentary roadside assitance if you get a tire blow out because the dam focus doesn't even have a jack with the car either.

Question answered.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought an 08 se auto, and luckily i have a spare, i printed off a build sheet and it said spare tire option yes, leads me to believe that it was an option to have it and standard was the pump, IDK,

Would be cool to have both,

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought an 08 se auto, and luckily i have a spare, i printed off a build sheet and it said spare tire option yes, leads me to believe that it was an option to have it and standard was the pump, IDK,

Would be cool to have both,
Yeah, I imagine the "difficulty" from Ford's standpoint was the TPMS. Putting one in a spare wheel running different pressure than the 4 standard tires was probably cost inefficient. Was providing a spare tire without the TPMS sensor even allowed?

If not, I can see the option with a moderate cost. Then again, what was the cost to Ford for the pump? I guess less than a tire, wheel, TPMS sensor, jack, wheel nut wrench.

·
Registered
28 Posts
not cost effective down the road for the customer, a tire issue on the road usually requires a spare not air, i can just hear the phone call " i've had the pump on it for 10min and it won't air up,

·
Registered
78 Posts
not cost effective down the road for the customer, a tire issue on the road usually requires a spare not air, i can just hear the phone call " i've had the pump on it for 10min and it won't air up,
The Fords that have pumps instead of a spare come with a can of fix-a-flat that attaches to the pump. After each use you buy a new can of the flat repair and pop it on the pump for the next roadside emergency. Brand new Fords use this same pump, usually just the hybrid models that have no room for a spare because of the batteries in the trunk.

Also yes the spare was an option on 2008 models. My cousin has a 2008 S Focus and her window sticker lists a spare tire as an option.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Mine also came with the air pump and fix-a-flat. Good news is that any spare tire from previous model Foci fit the car exactly the same. I now have a spare from an earlier model year, but need to get a new tire for it as it's way too old to use.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts