Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 04 SVT Focus and I think it might be leaking.

Not sure if it is oil or water (water pump?)...

Going to take it to the dealer on Monday, anything I should tell them to look for?

Has about 55,000 miles on it. Oil pressure seemed fine.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Where is the leak coming from? Stay away from the dealer unless you want to get raped. Get under the hood with a flashlight and trace it. If at all possible, post a pic and someone here can diagnose it. I just fixed a small coolant leak today, cost me $18 for a new t-stat housing plug and about 5 minutes of labor and Im good to go! Would have cost me over a $100 at the dealership. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Depends where its leaking from. Overheating any? Also oils brown/black and waters clear so it should be easy to tell (if not smell it).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
I tried smelling it, but I have a cold.

I am going to start it again tomorrow. I will also snap some pictures.

I know the dealership is crazy expensive, I was going to get them to look at it (I know it will still cost money) and I was going to do the work, if I could.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember correctly it was on the right side of the car (under engine bay).

Is a tstat leak common?

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts

Is a tstat leak common?
Ya it is attributed to a 59 cent o-ring. It's not rated for the correct temp and ends up shrinking and becoming brittle. I came out to my car one day after work and it looked like I drained the coolant on the ground. The puddle was huge.

I ended up using a different o-ring. I forget the name but they can only be ordered in quanties of 25 but were rated up to 500 degrees. Mine hasn't leaked again.

·
Registered
347 Posts
might sound stupid, but taste the fluid, if its bitter/sweet to the taste and you regret doing it, and cringe a little like, eww thats nasty, its coolant, but if its oil, you'll see that your finger has changed a different color, so no reccomendations on tasting if it looks like oil. [:D]

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
might sound stupid, but taste the fluid, if its bitter/sweet to the taste and you regret doing it, and cringe a little like, eww thats nasty, its coolant, but if its oil, you'll see that your finger has changed a different color, so no reccomendations on tasting if it looks like oil. [:D]
Problem is if you mix different color anti-freezes together sometimes they turn black. I know you aren't supposed to mix colors but some people can't read. lol

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

Is a tstat leak common?
Right side as in drivers side? More than likely the t-stat plug's o-ring went bad. Post some pics if you can.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
If you look at your engine bay and then remove the shroud to the RIGHT of the Powered by SVT plastic shield (if it still there) you can see the top of your t-stat housing and ignition module. It should be really easy to remove and take note on how to reinstall. Take a picture of the bottom of the T-stat housing. It is very easy to get to.

Zach

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I just tried to take some pictures. It is hard for me to understand everything because I just picked up the car and am not very familiar with the engine.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
That's cool. Okay now see where that gray sensor (2nd picture) on the top of the housing is, that's your coolant temp sensor. Directly underneath and to one side will be a silver plug. You may see it leaking there and that's normal. To correct this problem you will need to get a viton o-ring. However, once you pull that silver plug out it will drain a lot of your coolant so you might as well go ahead and do a coolant flush.

Here is everything you need: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74242&highlight=viton+o-ring

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat"

Hillyard got ya the right link. [;)]
Looks like you might be about due for a valve cover gasket as well if you feel so inclined:
How-To Replace Valve Cover Gasket and VCT Solenoidhttp://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63381

BTW, I do have one question...
Is that a welded aluminum plate on the bell housing?
^^^Directly underneath your thermostat housing in the 3rd picture.
If so, the previous owner may have had an encounter with an exploding flywheel. [eek]

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat"
BTW, I do have one question...
Is that a welded aluminum plate on the bell housing?
^^^Directly underneath your thermostat housing in the 3rd picture.
If so, the previous owner may have had an encounter with an exploding flywheel. [eek]
You know that caught my eye too but I was't going to say anything....:(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heh, the dealer noticed that today.

any tips for me? he just said he had never seen anything like that before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts