Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the Focus have four-lug wheels? Why not five? Why not eight? Is it to save money? And why does the Focus have the oddest bolt pattern in the world? Why couldn't it be 4x100 or 4x114.3 like every other four-lug car in the universe?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
im kind of curious about this too..but also thankful, espeically where i live. with such an odd bolt pattern, i THINK there is only 2 other cars that use this pattern (maybe im mistaken), but that means less chance of idiot car thieves creeping our focus wheels for their hondas and such..loll

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I would say it has alot to do with engineering. Im sure they calculate the cars weight, size, etc and how many studs are needed.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
well the weight thing is right. there's really no need for more than 4 lugs, kind of why all civics are 4 lug. but the bolt pattern, the only thing i can really think of is ford marketing. a while back i read on here that it's because when we break something, like a rim, stud, whatever, we buy the new parts directly from ford because nobody else really makes them that way. idk for sure though.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
They've been using the pattern for a while, havent they? Focus rims bolt onto a contour, as I recall, and on FJ the guy restoring an XR4Ti used some 15" Focus wheels he had sitting around and they bolted up. Whatever reason they have, it probably predates the Focus.

Its inconvenient tho, especially combined with the wierd offset.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
poisonivory said:
im kind of curious about this too..but also thankful, espeically where i live. with such an odd bolt pattern, i THINK there is only 2 other cars that use this pattern (maybe im mistaken), but that means less chance of idiot car thieves creeping our focus wheels for their hondas and such..loll
Audi uses the 4x108 on some of their cars I think...

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
i think there are even more fords that use it too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts