Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I've posted before about when I should change my fluid when I was at 86,xxx Kms or 53,750 Miles.

I still haven't changed it and I'm now at 95,000 Kms or 59,375 Miles. I don't drive the car hard very often and I'm pretty sure nothing has been towed and the car was mint when I got it at 74,000 Kms or 46,250 Miles.

It seems like I can put ATF if I feel like it or I can put actual synthetic MTX fluid. I was interested in AMSOIL and I think I've found the 'honey colored' fluid which seems to be mentioned by DePue.

Would putting in ATF cause more of a shock to the tranny over MTX fluid or would it be the other way around..... What would happen if I never changed it?

What do you guys think of all this?

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtg.aspx << Syn MTX fluid

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...2&perpage=12&highlight=mtx fluid&pagenumber=1

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I wouldn't really worry about changing the fluid until you have to pop the axle(s) out for some reason or remove the transmission from the car. Ford doesn't really have a specified drain interval on the MTX-75. Basically, a manual transmission only uses its fluid for gear lubricant so it doesn't put as much stress on it as an automatic which actually uses the fluid to drive the car. Since the gearbox is sealed, there's no chance for contamination and I believe the transmission was built with a large magnet inside the gearbox to catch any metal shavings that may come off of the gears.

As far as what to use...pretty much anything that meets the Ford specification will do. Most people suggest using the Motorcraft MTX fluid which is supposed to be a very high quality synthetic. The AMSOIL stuff you linked seems to be a bit heavy for the application (75w-90), in fact their application guide suggests using this 5w-40 synthetic engine oil. Remember, you're not really concerned with it being transmission fluid as much as it just needs to lubricate the gearbox.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Makes sense but how could I use motor oil in a tranny?!

It's funny how even on automatic tranny, Ford never says when to change it only to inspect. I'm going by S2's maintenance interval thread.

So basically, you're saying if I really feel like changing it go for it but it's not necessary right?!!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"It's funny how even on automatic tranny, Ford never says when to change it only to inspect"

At least on my 2005 model, Ford clearly states the auto transmission fluid should be changed at 30,000, not just inspected.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Keep in mind that motor oil viscosity and gear oil viscosity are not on the same scale.

A 90 weight gear oil is the same thickness as a 40 or 50 weight motor oil.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks fazerdude.

I work at a car rental company here in MTL and I spoke to the head mechanic when I bumped into him about 20 mins ago. I asked when I should change the fluid and he said you don't really need to. Usually in manual transmissions you don't have to change it because all it really needs is fluid in there. He also said if it's shifting fine and I have no problems at all just leave what I have in there.

C

·
0 Posts
I just changed mine @ 61000km. Filled with AMSOIL 5w40 engine oil as suggested. Just over 2 quarts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts