Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Joined
·
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished up installing my new Steeda STS, and I LOVE IT! Very pleased with the quality of the product, the instructions and the end result. I did encounter some problems and will give some subsequent words of advice:

1) Do NOT do this in the cold weather...my hands and feet are still frozen!

2) The shift cable mount is a PITA to get off. It took me probalbly 20 minutes of pulling and prying before it came off the shaft. I ended up using a flat-head screwdriver to hold the two sides (where the screw goes) apart, while pulling and twisting the whole mount.

3) Replace the weak stock screws (on the shifter base) that Ford uses with some stronger, heavy-duty screws. I used an electric drill to remove the screws from the base (which worked great) but as I was putting the first one in, the head snapped off. So now I have three screws holding in the base, instead of four.


Finally, the only issue I'm seeing now is the fore/aft cable is bunching up with the shift boot. Short of replacing the boot (which I plan to do in the future) does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this?

Thanks for looking! [:D]
-Waffles
 

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
good info to know. glad to hear youre pleased with it. i should be ordering mine here soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,929 Posts
If you take the boot and ring off you'll see staples all around the bottom. What i did when i cut my shaft down was carefully unbend the staples and pulled the boot down tighter and re.installed the boot using the same holes in the ring and re.using the staples. you can then cut off the excess boot material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Redline Goods makes nice shift boots and you can order them an inch shorter for a STS. They will do any color combo along with custom stitching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
I have the same one and had it in within 20minutes. I love it as well. The shift boot binding: the instructions I have said to take the front of the shift boot ring and trim it down about 1/4" to prevent the binding. Worked for me. Enjoy
 
Joined
·
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
captcurt_18 said:
good info to know.
Yeah, it definitely is. Wished I had known it myself, but hey at least I can let other FF'ers know!

FOCUSSTDRIVER said:
no pics man
No, no pics man. I can take some if you insist, but it looks just the same as any Steeda STS, but with a Mustang shift knob.

focusedamarillo said:
Redline Goods makes nice shift boots and you can order them an inch shorter for a STS. They will do any color combo along with custom stitching.
pistolgripbmx said:
If you take the boot and ring off you'll see staples all around the bottom. What i did when i cut my shaft down was carefully unbend the staples and pulled the boot down tighter and re.installed the boot using the same holes in the ring and re.using the staples. you can then cut off the excess boot material.
Krusty Driver said:
I have the same one and had it in within 20minutes. I love it as well. The shift boot binding: the instructions I have said to take the front of the shift boot ring and trim it down about 1/4" to prevent the binding. Worked for me. Enjoy
I should have said in my OP, I already have a custom shift boot (from Redline Goods none the less) which is why I didn't want to replace it right away. I guess I'll order one tonight or tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
 

·
Force-Powered Focus
Joined
·
6,877 Posts
glad you got this...did you have any isses with the rev. lockout?
 

·
Force-Powered Focus
Joined
·
6,877 Posts
see, thats what i thought. steeda is such a PITA. they are telling a new member (he brought it up in the ST Crew thread) that they said they wont sell him one cuz it wont work on the 07! i have reassured him that you can. but its just so annoying!! poor kid has been led astray.
 

·
Force-Powered Focus
Joined
·
6,877 Posts
i know. its what got me so mad. but they told him that on the PHONE! steeda SUCKS to deal with.
 
Joined
·
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, that's odd Steeda would say that. Oh well, guess they don't want the business.
Hopefully he signs in today or tomorrow and checks the link.

(BTW, his ST is effin hawt!)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top