Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Just installed SD w/ Live Wires and now engine runs like crap! Please help!

953 views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Sojirou 
#1 ·
Just like the subject states;

I recently installed my new Screaming Demon coil pack and i stayed with a 'smaller-than-.065' gap on the plugs (around .055) because I read that a smaller gap produces a stronger spark, therefore burning the mixture more thoroughly. But now it runs like crap. I had a friend listen to it and he said it sounds like the valves are 'opening and closing harder' and just tonight i got on the throttle to about 50-75% and it pulled for a bit then jerked back 2 or 3 times before I let off. What the heck is going on?!?! should i just open the gap up completely to .065? Any help would be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
-James

#3 ·
when u re-installed the plugs did u break the porcelain part of the plug? i know when i replaced mine i didnt realize until the plug was in that it was broken and the engine was misfiring...is the car throwing a code?

#5 ·
Sojirou said:
Just like the subject states;

I recently installed my new Screaming Demon coil pack and i stayed with a 'smaller-than-.065' gap on the plugs (around .055) because I read that a smaller gap produces a stronger spark, therefore burning the mixture more thoroughly. But now it runs like crap. I had a friend listen to it and he said it sounds like the valves are 'opening and closing harder' and just tonight i got on the throttle to about 50-75% and it pulled for a bit then jerked back 2 or 3 times before I let off. What the heck is going on?!?! should i just open the gap up completely to .065? Any help would be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
-James
I think you're supposed to gap them to .065. If not, then the spark is too strong, and it will burn out your plugs. Just gap them to .065.

#8 ·
pull one plug wire at a time while the engine is at idle and listen for a drop in idle or change in note....if you pull a wire and nothing happens, you found a problem..place that wire close to a ground ( engine block etc.) and look for a spark. if no spark then thats a bad wire or connection at the coil....if you get spark then that plug is either bad or they are all incorrectly gapped causing fouling. good luck

#9 ·
wow, thanks guys.

BlaneZX3 - Yeah i have them in the correct order, I marked them before i swapped them out.

Old_Grendel - No, no codes are coming up but i did notice that when i pulled the plugs out, the #4 plug's porcelain was cracked so i gapped some new double platinum plugs to around .060. The jerking is gone when i get on it but it still "knocks" so i called the dealer and explained the situation. The guy there said that he has an MSD Ignition system on is vehicle and it started to knock so he raised the octane and after a while it stopped. He suggested the same for me so i put a bottle of STP Octane boost and i filled the rest up with premium ($2.99/gal for 90 oct). I was at half a tank so it might take a while to take effect. I just don't understand what's happening to make the #4 plug crack.

scyzzo17 - New ones

CAIS95 - that sounds a little rough on the engine. however when at idle my engine bogs down because of the UDP anyways. Another focus guy told me that i should get the 65mm FC TB and the intake ported to match and that should help.

All in all, i just hope that this raised octane fix will work. The guy said if it didn't work then try to get a high flow fuel pump and a new fuel filter....so with what this guy and the other focus owner are telling me....do you guys think that they're giving me sound advice?

#10 ·
also, if your running a smaller then recomended gap, you do have a bigger spark, but not much place for that spark to go, it has to travel farther too. keeping the spark at recomended length, or even a little longer since you have a more powerful ignition it will help you out more and burn the fuel more cleanly

#11 ·
I am running screamin demon coil and live wires and have no Ill effects with running factory gap. the only reason I am running stock gap is because I was in germany when my roomate changed my plugs for me.

#12 ·
Sojirou said:
the #4 plug's porcelain was cracked so i gapped some new double platinum plugs to around .060.
Did you get this type of double-platinum plugs:

?

If so, they'e not supposed to be gapped. The 2/4 plat are gapped at the factory, as they're not built like normal plugs with the ground curving down below the electrode. That could be the problem with the new plugs. If you want to take advantage of the more poweful coil, you should get some regular-style plugs, and if you get platinum don't gap them with the usual style gapping tool, as sliding the metal between the electrode and the ground will rub the platinum coating off.

#13 ·
if the porcelain is damaged then i imagine thats the problem there...it happened to me when i installed the new ones...i tried to set the plug in by hand (later shown a much easier way w an extention and the socket) and when i tried to screw it in the socket cracked the porcelain...lets just say that it was $20 well spent [8]

#14 ·
Well, she's fixed. However, it was not the Coil pack as suspected (should have known better)does this manifold next to the header look familiar?

yeah well it was completely disconnected and flapping in the wind, that's where the noise and smell was coming from. I reconnected it and !Viola! everything (including my stalling problem) is all fixed! here's a better shot of the B-nut.

Yeah it's the manifold that connects the header to the EGR valve by the way. Thank you for all your info though! Now back to working on making her faster and meaner!

#17 ·
i can't really give a definitive answer to you right now about how well it drives with the new coil pack but it does sound better and i think it pulls a little bit harder, in terms of mpg, i'd have to drive some more to figure it out but i'm positive that it's gone up a few miles (which is always good in my book[thumb] ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.