Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on firday I just installed the OBX header and for the most part I think I like it. But I got 2 problems w/ the whole thing. One being it does sound a lil bit to ricy for my taste but I guess thats what I get w/ taking out my cat. And two is I can't keep my foot off the gas, now that I have the header in for some reason it seems my foot got heavier and my fule tank got smaller....IDK. But like I said for the most part I like it, I also got a tune form Tom and hopefuly it will kill my CEL as well. If your looking in to getting a header than I would recomend it, the Z-tec guy's love it and I have no complaints my self. It's affordable ant the quallity is there as well.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm worried about the Ricey sound when I get mine (Few months Away) I have the FocusSport Stealth Exhaust so That shoud kill hte sound a little bit. Can you post and Audio/Video So We can hear it?

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no audio but i have the same exhaust fs stelth and still a bit ricey IMO...but to each his own. i would take the performance over sound any day though.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hmmm might wait on reports of the FocusSport Header then.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have the Cossie and still have the second cant and it only gets a little ricey when I get on it in the upper rpms. Other than that I love it. I have a resonator coming from mike, so will have to see how that changes the sound.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hmmm might wait on reports of the FocusSport Header then.
The FS will sound the same they are the same design.

Ceramic coating will not help with sound, it will help with performance and under hood temps.

I think that the FS header is the best one out since it comes truely ceramic coated. If cost is an issue the OBX will perform almost the same. Also I hope FS uses a good ceramic coating.

·
Registered
930 Posts
FS is apparently really good with coatings. I really dont want to bolt it up and hear rice whenever I stomp the petal -.-. I know its a small price to pay for the performance gains but I just dont think I could possibly live with it as a DD

·
Registered
930 Posts
I honestly cant remember.... I think so...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you did then you will probably not like the sound, otherwise you can try a resonator.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Ceramic coating will not help with sound, it will help with performance and under hood temps.
Maybe not with the header, but a ceramic coat will thicken the media, such as the magnaflow resonator. The magnaflow resonator is made with super thin material. So just think that by increasing the thickness, you help the acoustics of the sound.

Another option is to get it coated and also wrap it.

And obviously no one clicked on my link that I put in.

You just have to face that you have a 4 banger and that no matter what you do, the upper RPM's are going to produce a raspy sound without a HFC or resonator.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I probably should stick a HFC on it when I do it just for emissions if I loped off the Cats

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will sound a bit ricey w/ any header b/c your removing the cat...so what ever youd w/ the exception of getting a resinator it will sound a bit ricey but it's not that bad I think too and i forgot to mention it only has 63 miles on it, hopefuly it will "breakin" and sound much better. I will keep you posted.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i'm not sure what i did to mine but it never bumble-bee's nor does it ever get a "ricey" tone...

always just sounds mean...

i do have a custom borla muffler instead of the reg ones that come in the kit but idk...

most people say it sounds like a true race car

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Thats what I get too. I have a 2.5" SS Trubendz w/magnaflow muffler and resonator exhaust coupled with an F2 header. Never sounds bumble beeish. A little bit raspy in upper RPM when really getting on it but not too bad. Everyone says it just sounds like I have a powerful motor and not a little lawn mower motor trying to sound beefy.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
people ask me if i have a V8 sometimes...

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
i have a zetec but its sorta the same thing. mine does the bumble bee thing unless i speed up slow like the vid above. but if i just put it on the floor ite bee like. i have svt header 2.5 orp, 2.5 flex, 2.5 mbrp so maybe thats why

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i also have higher displacement..i've only heard one 2.3L bumblebee and he had a cosworth header/fart can combo so that could be part of it...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Warneej arent you running dual exhuast tips, that will cut down a lot of the noise.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts