Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done installing an OBX header on my buddys 07 zx3. Installation was not hard at all. Much easier with a lift down at our body shop. On the factory manifold there were 3 sensors, all 3 plugs going to the same location all next to each other. I believe the colors were gray, blue, dark gray. When I dropped in the OBX, there was only one spot for a sensor. and it was way down at the bottom past where the cat used to be. And plugged into that one was the dark gray sensor plug. (If your looking at all 3 of the sensors where they plug into, it was the one on the right with the blue plug in the middle)....So I just used the dark gray sensor in that spot but did not hook up the other 2 as there were no spot to put them on that header...Did I do this correct? Obviously, he is gonna need a tune for the new header/exhaust/intake.

As for the OBX header itself, just looking at it, it appears to be very high quality, not to mention VERY SHARP looking, polished stainless steel...good quality welds, nice thick flanges. Lines up good with mounting brackets off the block. Only thing I would like to mention..it included two flex pipes, supposively one for manual and one for automatic. It just seemed that compared to the stock flex, one was a bit longer and the other was a bit shorter than the stock, but I got it put together and everything tightened up good. I ended up using the longer flex pipe of the 2 they sent...

I believe my buddy paid $220 for this piece plus like ten shipping...all I can say is....IM ORDERING ONE FOR MY ST!!!

Just thought I would voice my opinion on the OBX header as I know there were some ???'s about it...Hope this helps people!!!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I believe you should use the farthest upstream o2 sensor. Thats the one I put in but I only had two on my ST.

And yeah I have seen the OBX in person as well. Quality peice for sure. If I didn't have my F2 I would probably spring for the OBX. Just wait till it bronzes a little from the heat. It looks so sexy.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
obx is good stuff for not too much.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but i dont think the wire is long enough on that first sensor...that why i used the one that was in that area...

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
yeah you want to use the upstream sensor, not the one that was down low on the orig mani (which was logical, i did it too lol). Glad to hear you like the OBX

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is that wire long enough or do I gotta lengthen it...

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
what difficulty level was this to install?

·
Registered
100 Posts
i didnt have to lengthen mine. it worked no problem. and my header turned gold first, then it blued. but i forgot to clean the finger prints off after i installed it, so they burned into it.... so now i have a blue header with finger prints all over it lol

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
i didnt have to lengthen mine. it worked no problem. and my header turned gold first, then it blued. but i forgot to clean the finger prints off after i installed it, so they burned into it.... so now i have a blue header with finger prints all over it lol
Finger prints suck...I put gloves on when installing mine... and yes, you use the grey sensor. (not the white or black.) My OBX is flawless no prints. The one Jetrinka was talking about was mine and yes it is pure sexieness. and you shouldn't have to lengthin you sensor mine fit fine n/p

here a pic....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I took mine back out and wrapped it

after driving around, then pop the hood was like opening an oven

now with it wrapped the valve cover is nice and cool, the intake is ice cold

·
Registered
584 Posts

All the more reason to get a header that is already coated to cut down on heat. F2 or Cossie, boooo yaaahhhh ;)

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
ya I got a FS cAI so the so called underhood heat that every one is so conserned about doesnt effect me....but the wrap is also know to help the exhaust stay hot...but IDK I think this is all hear say like sasquach!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'd be careful with wrapping the header. It will trap moisture & salt (if you are in an area that gets a lot of snow) and can cause it to corrode pretty quickly. All depending on the grade of stainless used for the pipes will determine how quickly it will eat itself. Other than the heat protection it offers under-hood, it does allow the gasses inside the pipes to stay hotter and is even worth some efficiency gain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts