Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2003 SVT, the stock oil separator/crankcase breather was rusting and leaking oil. Instead of buying the replacement part, I decided to try saving a little money by replacing it with a system I thought would do the same job. I bought the CFM pcv delete, and a catch can from JLT. At first I left out the pcv valve and just routed the hose from the delete unit to the catch can to the intake manifold like it normally ran. After noticing I was burning a ton of oil I tried putting the pcv valveback in the line, but it still seems to be flowing way more oil than intended. I've now oriented the delete unit pointing upwards on the block as much as possible so that oil has to fight gravity to get to the catch can, but I'm not sure how much better it will be.

Should I have routed something differently? Or did I forget to include something important? If I knew I'd run into this much trouble I might have just bought the ford part, but then I'd have had to pull the headers.

·
FF Affiliate
30,665 Posts
If you went up over the top raid hose then that should help and cure the problem , I wouldnt run it to the intake in any way and just to the catch can

Tom

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
^^^^ hose up & over the engine can act somewhat like the oil separator that was removed, letting oil condense on the walls of the hose & drain back down into the pan.

Straight over to the can will pump a lot of oil out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys, just changed the setup according to your suggestions. blocked off the hose going to the intake, now the catch can vents out of a breather filter. I will find out if it was successful after I go to work tomorrow, don't really have time to drive it around tonight. right now the can is attached to the upper radiator support metal pointed in towards the engine, but I'm not certain that it's high enough (it's not higher than the engine).

Now that the PCV is deleted, will it need a new tune from you Tom? the car seems to be running great, just not sure if that messed up the air/fuel ratio.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
A/F will be off a very slight amount. But it's really nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems to be working great now, I could see the bottom of the can after I got to work this morning (50 miles one way). I might try relocating the catch can to a higher spot or just get a longer tube and route it up higher, still getting a little more oil than expected but MUCH better than the last setup. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update:

So I moved the catch can to the back of the engine bay in hopes that the extra hose needed to get that far and the more uphill routing would encourage the oil to trickle back down the tube into the engine, but the can is still filling faster than I would like. here are a few pics of my engine bay, sorry it's so dirty.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a better way to route the hose? Is it normal to see this much oil on a setup like this? I was under the impression I wouldn't have to empty it as often as I have been; the 2 oz. can is about half full after about 300 miles. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there anyone who's got a similar setup who can shed some light on this for me? just wondering if emptying the catch can once or twice a week is supposed to be normal after deleting the PCV.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Any updates?

I've been wondering if a Catch-can Kit is worth it for the SVTF....

I saw one on CFM site but the pics look like an incomplete kit and eBay one that is a bit pricy...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts