Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received my Focus Sport intake.

The part seems to be of good quality and construction. The air filter is, in fact, pre-oiled, despite what the paper packed with it says.

Installation: Was quite simple - more or less by the numbers, less one small issue of my own making. My only real question was how exactly to loosen the hose clamp that attaches the MAF to the intake tube - this looks to me like a one-time use part, although maybe I just didn't see the release catch. That notwithstanding, the install was complete in approximately 30 minutes of actual work. Basic hand tools are all that is required, though with an SVT a cordless is recommended, as the holes in the MAF need to be wallowed out a bit.

Performance impressions: The butt-dyno, which we all know to be accurate within .004 WHP says there's something there. Honestly I didn't dyno the car prior to install, and I probably won't dyno after. Still, in principle it's a decent intake, and the supplied heat-shield cannot but help. A cursory glance suggests some additional ghetto-mod sealing might help - also there is (barely) room for the outlet of the factory snorkel to come up into the shielded area - if more of the underhood area could be sealed out, this might make an adequate source of cooler air.

Sound impressions: What I'm most impressed with is the general stealth nature of this intake. I really can't tell it's there until I hit about 5K RPMs at WOT - it certainly has a pleasant howl when the engine is revving, but of course 7K RPMs in 2nd will get you a ticket on most any road in the country.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Predator from Tom to add to this.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
we need pics!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Congrats!!!!!! Pics Pics Pics

On a slightly-related-but-maybe-not note. I will be modifying my "snorkel" to get air from the right corner (looking at the car) of the lower grille. I plan on using flexible aluminum ducting and routing it up to where the stock airbox used to be, and angle it in a such a way where it is pointing directly at my SRI. I think that would be more effective than the stock snorkel that points away from where the intake is. Just a thought.

·
Registered
511 Posts
^^^ Is that the top of the stock airbox flipped upside down????

How did you mount it???? I also see it's where the battery used to be.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I dremeled a hold and mounted to the frame with a bolt....and yea its the stock box up side down. I relocated the battery a long time ago when I started the intake. I bought the flex tube from auto zone. It works really well, it has alot more throttle responce and the wot sound is beautiful...

This is the intake before the ram air, you can see where the battery is

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SVT_BMXer said:
we need pics!!
I anticipate having a few pics up this weekend.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - here are some pics...

Basic top/front view:

End-on from driver's side:

This is an over-shot of the driver's side of the engine - note the factory snorkle to the left:

And finally, the outlet of the factory snorkle coming up into the area protected by the heat shield:

This was what I was thinking suggested some ghetto-mod sealing so that the intake would be pulling primarily from the snorkle outlet.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I came so close to getting that intake. It looks good, and I love the filter. Congrats, and when you get the tune you'll be enjoying it even more.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm really looking forward to that! The check I sent Tom cleared my bank account on Friday, so I'm hoping to get the Predator toward the end of next week!

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I ran my snorkel the same way and you'd be surprised at how much air will pass through there while moving.

Took mine out one day while working on the car and just blew into the front of it with my hand on the other end. Just lung power alone and it seemed like very little air movement was lost.

NJoy!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Very nice FS Cool Flow and install. I love how it the Cool Flow has such a nice clean look to it. After much debate, I'm planning on ordering one here soon too. Glad to hear that you like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FS Cool-Flo question

Hi there,

I just picked up the FS Cool-Flo for my 2002 SVT from someone on this forum. I'm a little concerned about something I noticed on the ITG filter. Where the foam part hits the stainless steel part, is the foam supposed to be attached all the way to the edge of the stainless steel part? Mine pulls away in some parts so I'm wondering if it is OK. Anyone know???

Thank in advance!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've performed the HRW modification - pics below:

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Re: FS Cool-Flo question

Homestar said:
Hi there,

I just picked up the FS Cool-Flo for my 2002 SVT from someone on this forum. I'm a little concerned about something I noticed on the ITG filter. Where the foam part hits the stainless steel part, is the foam supposed to be attached all the way to the edge of the stainless steel part? Mine pulls away in some parts so I'm wondering if it is OK. Anyone know???

Thank in advance!
It should be stuck on. You should look into adhering it or getting a new one...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts