Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me I lost some mpgs? I'm going to get an alignment after work today, but i can figure out why i would have lost mpg's? I hoping the alignmnet will correct it. I was thinking by lowering the vehicle i would be tucking under the air more. My vehicle is a 2014 se sedan, has anyone else seen a decrease in mpg's after installing lowering springs? Also anyone that has in stalled this kit on a 2014, did you use the factory bump stops on the rear, or the huge (almost don't seem to fit) ones that come with the springs?
Also just encase everyone is wondering, yes I replaced the front struts with 2013's

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts
How many MPG's have you lost? I found a slight increase in mine..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well you said you havent gotten an alignment yet. When you lowered the car it will throw the alignment out of wack which may making the car harder to roll.(if you can understand what im saying.) Also i believe at stock height the axles are pretty much straight across without any angles which allows them spin easier and freely. When you lowered it this may have put the axles at a harder angle which wouldnt allow them to spin as freely and easily in turn eating up a slight amount of horsepower and in turn burning more fuel. I would get an alignment and see if that helps. Also, check the angles of your axles.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Lowering springs won't cause your mpg to go down. And unless your alignment is seriously out of whack I don't see that being an issue. You sure you haven't been hitting the loud pedal a little more. I know I did after lowering mine especially through the turns. Axles? Don't even get that. If you installed everything correctly you shouldn't even be messing with axles. And they shouldn't be causing any problems with mpgs. I would definitely get your alignment checked to prevent tire wear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i'm for sure going for an alignment on friday on my day off. I completely undertsand what you mean by increasing the rolling resistance, i just don't know if the tire contacting the road at 70% with camber or caster, is worse or better than contacting it at 80% zero'd out. I know the toe in/out shouldn't have been effected, but i'll wait to see what the alignment says. as far as the angle of the axles, they might be slighlty lower, but with full weight of the car they look pretty close. Oh well, next purchase will just be lighweight 16's then[clap] Oh and my mpg test is highway speed cruise set to 64 (speed limit here is 65) for 26 miles. My peak without the springs was anywhere from 5455.5mpg's and its still in the 50's when i get to work and park, and with the springs i barely reach 51 mpg for a split second, and now i'm at 48 mpg when i park. I have driven to work twice since the install.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the toe is out, then you are "scrubbing" the tires which causes more friction/resistance, and thus making the engine work harder. I'd let them settle, get an alignment and see if it improves.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the toe is out, then you are "scrubbing" the tires which causes more friction/resistance, and thus making the engine work harder. I'd let them settle, get an alignment and see if it improves.
How long should i let them settle in for? I drive 60 miles a day and don't want to tear up my tires in no time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts