Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I remove the lower air box or pull the whole thing out? Car is out of warranty and do not plan on going to the dealership, but you never know. Figuring it may be advantageous to leave it to go back to stock very easily, but also would love the feeling on taking the entire contraption out of the car. What is your take?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Good choice! I have had a Steeda in mine for 40K miles. I took out only the upper "box". I don't know whether you might get some cooler air up to the Steeda (if there is any cooler air in LA) by taking out the lower portion. It just seemed like extra work for little or no benefit. Enjoy your SRI, just be careful not to over-oil it when you clean it, MAFs hate oil!
I swapped my cone for an AEM dry filter.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I took out the entire stock set-up. Leaving it in there looks messy and does nothing but get in the way of other potential mods.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
^^^^^ Throw all that air box debris overboard= lighter & cleaner appearance

·
Registered
271 Posts
i took the whole thing out when i installed my steeda sri. the whole factory air intake assembly is massive lol, plus as others have mentioned if you ever need to get into the drivers side fender for anything it sure makes it a hella easier without that thing sitting in the way taking up space.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have a full cold air, so I had to remove the whole thing but even if i only had a short ram i would prolly have taken the bottom out. Much cleaner look and your taking out something you dont need anymore

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have made the decision to junk it all, so the project will have to wait until Friday evening due to time constraints.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Good choice! I have had a Steeda in mine for 40K miles. I took out only the upper "box". I don't know whether you might get some cooler air up to the Steeda (if there is any cooler air in LA) by taking out the lower portion. It just seemed like extra work for little or no benefit. Enjoy your SRI, just be careful not to over-oil it when you clean it, MAFs hate oil!
I swapped my cone for an AEM dry filter.
Do you have a part number on the AEM filter you used? Looking to switch filters on my steeda.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
Just an observation... I have noticed that no filters that I have ran across in the aftermarket..market fit the Steeda opening. Seems to be that the Steeda MAF tube is a 1/4" bigger than the norm.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I took out all that junk. Are you really going to go back to that stock lifetime filter? If you sell the car sometime you really don't want to keep the old filter.

·
Registered
621 Posts
you could list the stock intake online for sale or on crags list. It is expensive to buy a new one and i'm sure some people will want to look at other alternative as ones like mine were still new looking on the inside. could get a little bit of cash for future mods?

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
^^^ford quoted me $500 in parts just to replace the air filter box so yeah someone might be interesed. That was also why I went with Steeda

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can be a pain in the ass without taking the front bumper off, but I'd do it. shave off a pound or two and get rid of the tackiness. I have the focus sport cai so i think it was mandatory. (didnt use the instructions, but it appears as if my filter ends up where the lower box WAS)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts