Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody im new here as a member but i have been reading for years now. i just traded in my 02 malibu blue zx3 5-spd for a 03 cloud 9 white zx3 5-spd. the new car is just awesome. two improvements i didnt notice till yesterday too, and im psyched. for one, they fixed the manual window controls so that they open the 'normal' way now. that was always frustrating with my old one. and the main thing, this thing revs so much lower than my zetec. my zetec was revving at 3 grand at 70, the pzev is not even 3 grand yet at 80! im going to have a blast with this car. i dont plan any major mods but if i could get it to breathe better for not much work i would consider that. and i havent checked my mileage yet, its only got 80 miles, but it is still over full! im enclosing a pic, the thing is awesome![:)~]

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mods

actually i have already made 2 mods, but i didnt consider them as performance obviously.
i changed over the cd to the 6 disc changer i had, it still works perfectly! and i changed the gear shift knob. i loved the one in my 02 alot better. i switched it over on delivery day so i wonder if im the only one with a pzev with the 'good' shifter? [thumb] oh and the new car didnt have rear floor mats, an omission i corrected with the help of my 02 as well.[:I]

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Well Trick or Treat!
Looks nice. A good cheap mod that you can do is debadging if you wanna give the back end that clean look.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everybody for the ideas. ashley, as far as debadging i am going to take off the dealer sticker you see there, but as far as the focus and zx3 labels, i never thought of that. i will play around with paint on the computer and see what it looks like. i assume they are just glued on?
and for future mods i dont want to do anything that will mess with the warranty, call me a square. lol i would consider like a new air filter or something that can be taken right off. i know this is the same engine that mazda gets 160 horse out of so when you all figure out the simplest way to get 10 or 12 horse i am in!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice shift knob, mine is already starting to get worn out. Gotta look for something new soon. How do ya like the power in this compared to the 2.0. I wouldnt trade it for the world. I'm kind of the same way as far as the warranty goes, so I'm holding off on doing engine mods for now. I definaetly suggest a suspension. With the already good power and a good suspension setup, the car turns into a cornering beast.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
disturbed what knob do you have, the new one? i remember seeing that at first and wanting it. i got one and tried it out, didnt like it, and gave it to my brother for his 02 zx3. he loves it. i love the fact i have something from my old car, the first new car i ever bought. i hate that i gave up fog lights and the nice leather wheel, but what can you do. its very common to see nice standard features taken away these days. as far as the power, im still breaking it in but i can feel alot more torque and first and second just feel awesome. i feel sort of a drop off in 3rd, not sure yet if the ratio is too high? it seems to be. im not too concerned yet about it. ill baby her for a few weeks more. i have a sticker saying ford test drove my car for 32 miles, oh i feel so lucky. im sure someone already pounded the piss out of it so ill give it a break for a bit. right now driving around it feels like my car has a target on it. in the last 2 days i have had more idiots messing with me than the last 18 mos. with my old car!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, I have the stock 03 shift knob. It has that cheap plastically feel to it. I'd like to get a leather wrapped shift knob. Like the one the Focus RS has I believe.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My 03 has a leather shift knob and leather wheel and fog lights and floormats, got it 3 weeks ago but I got every option available cept the 6 disc changer (i like the mp3 one) and the rare sunroof that is available on some premium packages.

Congrats and enjoy your PZEV!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my dealer had 40 focus's and 39 were autos! i chose the one standard they had, and yeah it was optioned out a little less than the others. oh well, i finally got a/c at least. thanks for the encouragement. i just drove it tonight again, god its got so much power in reserve. even in 5th it just slides by traffic. i believe in driving smoothly and never just flooring it. this car is a thrill to drive smooth!

·
Registered
4 Posts
cant wait to get mine now!!!...im ordering leather, sunroof, audiophile, keyless entry on a zx3 premium...sound like im in for a treat

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
teddyrob said:
my dealer had 40 focus's and 39 were autos!
I know what you mean. About 95-97% in NY were auto, and the remaining were not what I wanted, until I found this one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
teddyrob said:
my dealer had 40 focus's and 39 were autos! i chose the one standard they had, and yeah it was optioned out a little less than the others. oh well, i finally got a/c at least. thanks for the encouragement. i just drove it tonight again, god its got so much power in reserve. even in 5th it just slides by traffic. i believe in driving smoothly and never just flooring it. this car is a thrill to drive smooth!

You think having a majority of the local Focii being automatic is disturbing? Try test-driving a manual SE and finding, upon having already left the lot and traded spots with the dealer, that there's no damned tach! Not a pleasant surprise.

So very glad my little ZX3 came with one. Otherwise, I may have had to've gotten one of those pitiful ricer tach's that you mount to the left of the windshield.

No, thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just rented a garden variety se sedan (pzev) from Budget in Oakland Ca. Automatic of course, but when I left the rental lot and stuck my foot in it, I was amazed at the power of the 2.3 l pzev. Any new base Focus would blow the doors off my 02 ZX5 w/ zetech and 5-spd. Again, I am jeolous for the new engine. Anyone know whether the pzev is a 16 valve or not? I suspect that it is a standard 8 valve config. As they always say, "there is no replacement for displacement" Should have waited...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
shred said:
I just rented a garden variety se sedan (pzev) from Budget in Oakland Ca. Automatic of course, but when I left the rental lot and stuck my foot in it, I was amazed at the power of the 2.3 l pzev. Any new base Focus would blow the doors off my 02 ZX5 w/ zetech and 5-spd. Again, I am jeolous for the new engine. Anyone know whether the pzev is a 16 valve or not? I suspect that it is a standard 8 valve config. As they always say, "there is no replacement for displacement" Should have waited...
Yes, the PZEV aka Duratech 2.3E is definitely a 16-valve DOHC configuration.

And yeah, us PZEV owners know it'll blow the doors off a Zetec. That's why we keep telling everyone on the General Focus Chat forum to get the PZEV when they ask which engine they should consider. The others, people who suggest the Zetec simply because there are more aftermarket parts, just crack me up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts