Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought of getting a ford. But its hard not to since i work for a dealer. So i got a 04 zx3, and all that i have done to it is put a cold air intake with a K&N filter. How much can these things take?? I just need some good advice. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
just get a focussport cold air intake. some people are getting cel's with the k&n intake, and the itg filter that comes with the focussport is amazing. same one they use on wrc car's.

the stock motor is good for quite a bit...

you have the 2.3 so with an intake, exhuast and header you will be very happy.

cosworth makes power kits for the 2.3 , the first kit is an intake manifold and cold air intake with a ecu reflash, good for about 20crank hp. the second level is a set of mild cams, a header, and a throttle body and a ecu reflash. that is good for 200 crank horse power, which will be about 170-180 whp. they make a third kit but it requires a lot of work.

you would be very happy with level one and two. :) happy modding, and oh yeah, you'll make a few more hp using a 2.5" exhuast :)

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I have the Intake with the ITG and that filter is awesome!

I couldnt' stand the trashy looking tiny tailpipe so I had Midas Auto do a custom Catback exhaust with a clean looking tip. It came out to about $340 for that and with the intake and exhaust my car was noticebly quicker.

I just bought the Cosworth Header and from what I've read, we gain a lot of horsepower in the 4000+ RPM range that makes our 2.3 motors suck during freeway acceleration.

Another nice modification is the Steeda short throw shifter. If you plan on doing some good performance modifications this shifter is a must so that you can take full potential of the performance you gain.

The most recent mod I did to my car was an SVT suspension kit. This kit will lower your car about an inch so you still have great clearence, but the handling you will gain from it is insanely potent!!! And it's only 245 vs. other kits costing over 500.

Also 17" wheels with nice tires are going to make just as big a difference on the handling as a new suspension setup will. I got a set of rims and tires from ebay for 300...but you gotta be safe if you do it that way or you could end up with some shitty products. Check out the Buy sell trade section on the forum there are a lot of good deals on wheels and tires.

For looks, a nice mod is to paint the ugly black moldings and rear hatch strip and the sideview mirrors the same color as the car....makes a HUGE difference.

Overall you are very lucky to have the 2.3 litre engine because it has an insane amount of potential!!! That is why most of the money spent on my car was for Go rather than Show.

Happy moddin!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts