Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my second svtf this one is infra red, ive had it for a month then some jackass side swiped my car and caused $5286 worth of damage to her, they replaced the rear quarter and the door and painted the quarter the door and front fender. It looks awsome. i only have one question the color looks perfect but where it meets the front and rear bumpers i can see a difference the bumpers looks darker in color a smidge, i was kinda of upset, but after looking at the whole car more closely the other side which has never been touched is exactly the same? and now when i look around at it the rear bumper in the middle seems darker then the hatch can i be nuts? anyone else ever see this on our cars? i know they say the urathane bumper can sometime vary in color than metal.. thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just got her back from the body shop, now i got a question?

I just picked up my second svtf this one is infra red, ive had it for a month then some jackass side swiped my car and caused $5286 worth of damage to her, they replaced the rear quarter and the door and painted the quarter the door and front fender. It looks awsome. i only have one question the color looks perfect but where it meets the front and rear bumpers i can see a difference the bumpers looks darker in color a smidge, i was kinda of upset, but after looking at the whole car more closely the other side which has never been touched is exactly the same? and now when i look around at it the rear bumper in the middle seems darker then the hatch can i be nuts? anyone else ever see this on our cars? i know they say the urathane bumper can sometime vary in color than metal.. thanks.

·
'Merica
1,701 Posts
paint is paint dude. thats why they primer the car first. bumper or 1/4 panel, it should all be the same. sounds maybe the bumpers were re-sprayed? only thing I can think of.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
they will never match exactly. two different materials which effects the color.
the only colors that never show it is black and dark green.
look at any focus, there is a difference due to the materials

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
they will never match exactly. two different materials which effects the color.
the only colors that never show it is black and dark green.
look at any focus, there is a difference due to the materials

I agree 100% next time you see any car for that matter that has plastic bumpers you can tell a difference in darkness. I will say this, when I got my rear bumper painted at a shop, I think they did a better job getting it closer to the metal body panels than when it came from the factory, I don't know if they took into consideration that the plastic makes it look a bit more dull and darker and lightened up the paint or not but they did a great job.

·
Registered
915 Posts
When I got rear ended the first time, the body shop I went to tried their hardest to lighten the paint but got it very close. So they did a blend pattern on the back panels and trunk to give the illusion there was no difference in the shades of silver.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
If the car had not been wrecked you would probably notice it only slightly as compared to now. They had only painted the section that was replaced and had blended the color in as best as they could. But for the urethane bumpers, they are always going to fade in color a lot faster than metal. Paint fade a lot faster on plastics and urethane than it will on metal.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yeah but I was rear ended a second time (And totaled the truck that hit me too) so I got an all new bumper which is better matched since the morons at Lincoln/Mercury Body Shop used a paint matching program.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I got rear ended the first time, the body shop I went to tried their hardest to lighten the paint but got it very close. So they did a blend pattern on the back panels and trunk to give the illusion there was no difference in the shades of silver.
Well like said i got the car about a month ago from my friend, he took great care of it but he is no detailer by any means. the paint over all is dull looking so im wondering after i get my hands on it and get it to look flawless what the bumpers/match will look like then?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I had a similar problem with a red Fiero GT nose years ago. Had a fender bender, had the nose painted, and it looked like a perfect match...in the daytime. But at night, the new paint looked orange, and the red still looked red. It was bizarre. Of course, the shop refused to fix it, saying it was "normal".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts