Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Eibach struts/shocks kit and had a few questions.

First: I can't install the struts/shocks yet cuz I need 2 get a spring compressor tool 2 do the job. While they're just sitting in my closet, should I keep them held down a bit or left extended out? Does it matter?

Second: the struts/shocks came in silver. I was thinking theyd look good painted red cuz my Eibach Sportline springs r red and I'm gonna get the Eibach front and rear sway bars (in red). Is there a problem with painting struts/shocks? I know not 2 paint the part that slides up and down, I mean painting the already painted parts. Does painting ur struts/shocks cause any damage or problems?

Last: ^^^If it's ok 2 paint ur struts/shocks, would u need 2 use high-temp paint?

If these r dumb questions, i apologize but I'm not sure and don't wanna screw anything up. I'd really appreciate the help! Thanks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
leave them as they are you do not need to press down on them they are kept in warehouse forever just in box ... they will settle after a week or so with the foci pushing on them !! I wouldnt bother painting them really because most lowering springs touch quite a bit once they settle and the paint wears off in between the surfaces that touch I know that happen to my vogtland springs so it would most likely happen to yours as well and the paint quality most likely wont be as good quality as what comes with the spring unless your some paint mastermind lol hope this helps ...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't gonna paint the springs. I've got the Eibach sportlines. They come in red. I meant painting the shocks and struts. And not the shiny bar that moves up and down. Just the bottom part that comes painted.

I'm sure the shocks and struts don't hit on anything. Or they're not supposed 2 hit on anything.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Keep the compression straps on the shocks. They're easier to install with the straps on. Just snip the strap off at the last minute once its aligned. While the piston shaft can be compressed by hand it can be a nuisance to do so during install. Eibach must have changed their color scheme as most of the shocks I've seen (including mine) were black. I see no downside painting them as long as you get "absolutely nothing" on the chromed piston shaft (that includes any masking tape residue).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just about done painting my struts/shocks. They're coming out good! I can't wait 2 install them on Saturday.

But I got some ?'s on install:
the haynes manual says to tighten up everything to a specific torque. But a couple of the torques are kinda low. Are they right?

-front top 3 mounting nuts=18ft-lbs
-front top retaining nut=35ft-lbs
-front sway bar links=37ft-lbs
-front strut to steering knuckle=66ft-lbs
-rear top mounting nut=13ft-lbs

Also, it doesn't say how much to tighten the rear lower mounting bolt. Does it require a specific torque or not?

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
eric if you need help let me know ive done it a couple of times.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Of major importance...do not fully tighten anything while the suspension is drooping. Do all final torquing with the weight of the car on the suspension (on ramps is ok). Not doing so will bind bushings.

The front top retaining nut (piston shaft top nut) can be tricky. It is a lock nut and takes reasonably force just to get it to tread down. To many people stop too soon and end up with the spring not being fully seated and then sliding around in the top mount. Make sure you get this one tightened correctly. The rear shock top nut should not be over tightening as well. Its a common mistake. Over tightening will compress the bushings too much leading to groaning noises when it can't move as much as it should.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do u install the spring on the front strut? After compressing the spring (with a spring compressor tool) and removing it from the old strut, do I install the spring on the new strut while it's compressed? Or should I release the spring and set it in place while it's not compressed?

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
you will have to compress the front spring to install it or you will never get the upper strut mount on

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I had a feeling but wasn't exactly sure. So, I put the compressed spring in place on the new strut, followed by the spring seat, upper bearing and retaining nut. Do I tighten the nut to the specific torque b4 I release the spring? Or do I tighten the nut a little, release the spring and then tighten to the specific torque?

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
well when Cjohn and I did his car we did german spec first goodntight then after the strut was reinstalled torqued them down

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So should I put the compressed spring on the new strut, then spring seat, upper bearing and then tighten nut a little. And then release the spring making sure it's in place at the bottom and top spring seats. Then install the strut, lower the car 2 the ground, and then torque it 2 the specific torque. Is this right?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read a thread where a few ppl said that the rear shocks lower mounting bolt is torqued at 66ft/lbs. Then I looked up installation instructions on the SVT suspension kit and it said to torque that bolt at 85ft/lbs. Should I go with the SVT instructions or is it different?

Also, the haynes manual says to torque the front "anti-roll bar link to strut" bolt at 37ft/lbs and the SVT suspension instructions says to torque it to 94ft/lbs. Which one should I go with?

Sorry for all the questions but I wanna get it done right the first time.

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
well if you go to 94ft/lbs you will break the bolt, cjohn read the torque wrench wrong when we did his car and at 51ft/lbs the bolt snapped so I would go with 34ft/lbs. as for the lower shock bolts 66ft/lbs is enough

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^^that's really good to know! Thanks a lot! I really appreciate all the info.

I was gonna do the rear shocks 2day but I had 2 get car insurance. they took a long time and it started sprinkling when I got out so I'm gonna have 2 wait till 2morrow. 2morrow I'll post up the results on the struts/shocks installation.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't put em on yet cuz my bro was supposed 2 stop by with sockets and a spring compressor tool 4 me but he never showed. I got 2 thinking and I'm gonna have the corner shop put the springs on the new struts cuz I read that the spring compressor tool can break and the spring can kill u. Just my luck, it'll break.

But the paint came out great! They look nice and smooth. They look like they came from the factory in red. I'll try 2 post up pics on them painted. They look perfect!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
U got all the tools? What about putting the spring on2 the new strut? U got the tool 4 that or a shop 2 do it? When's a good time and day 4 u?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts