Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on my way home i was pulled over because apparently my license plate lights wernt working. After waiting for 20 god damn minutes in my car while it was freezing outside, he came back and said they were out then said i needed to get a couple things worked on... The exhaust (needs db meter to ticket me - didnt get a ticket), smoked tail lights (ticketed for i think???), and the use of fog lights while in motion when not in foggy conditions (LOL it was foggy to begin with. I drove down the street maybe .5 miles and took a picture of the fog).

Anyway, the ticket was marked as a Traffic violation (i think this is non-traffic??)

Charge: RCW 46.37.210 (Additional Lighting Equipment): VIO. Lighting Equip Requirments $124.00

So the big question... I dont see anything about fog lights on the RCW he listed on the ticket nor any law that says fog lamps (driving lamps are in this vehicle) may not be used while driving. Isnt that a "ticket" out of the ticket? Also it was marked as traffic when it was a non-traffic violation, isnt it?

I think i might contest as i was outside city limits, ticket was written as traffic (not non-traffic, this shouldnt affect my insurance!!), incorrect RCW, and incorrect block of violation (cop got to me @ around the 10800 block when lights activated, outside jurisdiction, and pulled in at 11200). We'll see what attorney says tomorrow. This is [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g bullshit if you ask me. I was driving completely normal and at the speed limit doing nothing wrong. wtf. Driven past Bonney Lake PD HUNDREDS of times without any issues....

edit:
i just looked and my license plate lights are working just fine lol....

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
yeah sounds like someone was full of BS. More than likely the officer wont show if you contest it. You say you took pics? got any from the rear?

wasnt aware you couldnt use factory installed lights. lol

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took pictures of the fog but I guess its not really that bad. Checked and 7 mile visibility around here. Didn't get any pictures from the rear but I have pictures of my tail lights on and they're bright lol.

I doubt he will show either if I contest. I wasn't aware I couldn't use the fog lights either lol. That's exactly what I said to him.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
look it up. I know the officers around here in my college town pull people over for BS made up reasons. not all of them of course, but some. I know a friend was pulled over and educated said officer about why (sorry I really cant remember) he was pulled over and basically called him on his lie. Yes he is a certified safety inspector so he knows whats legal and what isnt.

Note to officers that attempt this crap: I have a little less respect for you and you make the rest look bad.

edit: also wondering how he could tell they were tinted and that your exhaust is too loud.lol

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Completely seems like that's what happened because the rcw on the ticket has nothing to do with fog lights or tail lights lol. It's more for trailers or auxiliary lights on trucks and stuff. I really respect law enforcement since my best friend is becoming a state patrol cop and my brother is dispatch for the state patrol here near Seattle. I hate it when cops try to push people around to get a dollar! Really I don't know how he knew the exhaust was too loud because at normal driving you can hardly tell its on the car lol. I know they need a db meter and to scientifically prove its too loud for the ticket to stick. As for tail lights, they're 2 coats of night shade and pretty dark but they light up pretty well and people I know drive behind me and say they have no issues seeing them in the day. I'm glad he didnt get me for my 10% window tint lol. This really pisses me off...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
actually as far as i know in the state of WA they can give you one for modified exhaust.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Isn't law enforcements motto " To Serve and Protect" not "To Pull Over and Harass"?
If the modified exhaust is a problem then every Harley rider should be pulled over and given a ticket on the spot. Maybe we should put Harley stickers on our rear window and then we'll be exempt. I consider our lights, driving lights, and fog lights are generally tinted yellow to show contrast in the fog.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they can ticket you for modified exhaust but they have to prove that its modified or too loud using a DB meter.

heh yeah they should protect more or protect by taking the people with lights that actually blind people off the road. FFS i see 100 cars late at night in this area with HID's in stock housings that blind the hell out of me when i pass them and i get ticketed for fog/running lights???? WTF

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Bummer, sorry to hear 'bout your hasell.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i sent it to my attorney. I dont want to deal with this one right now right in between mid terms in school lol. Enough stress as it is. We'll see what the attorney does. I bet it gets dropped.

·
Registered
401 Posts
They can't ticket you for factory installed equipment but, they can ticket you for things you add to your car that are specified for off road use only. Most of these "performance" add ons for cars say on the box "off road use only". That doesn't stop us from using them but, they can ticket you for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got pulled over for my tail light being black plus you can't see them cause my windows are tinted close to the same black as my light. The cop said I didn't think you had tail lights till you turened your turn signal on. Then told me there had to be red on the back of you car and I said there is look at where it says washington on my plate and my tab. He let me off with a warning.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah thats correct that they cant ticket you for factory installed equipment but the ticket doesnt really state what i got a ticket for, just "additional lighting equipment" but i dont have anything added to the car in terms of lighting thats additional. Court is in 4 days so we'll see what happens.

For tail lights, you arent allowed to have covers or anything over the top of the tail light that would impair the light effectiveness.

"Covers - No additional lamp, reflective device, or other motor vehicle equipment shall be added which impairs the effectiveness of the lamp standard. See individual lamp RCW/WAC Headlamp."

I have read extensively through the RCW's and it only states that they have to be visible from a specific distance. Theres ways around this law from what ive read. Huge loophole in the RCW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts