Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a ticket from the UMD police. Its for "speed greater than reasonable." I was doing about 40 in a 20 while there were people on campus for a basketball game (yea yea, i know...slow my a$$ down). I know and the officer knows.

Its for $90 but I don't have said $90. Can I just plead guilty and see if they can give me community service or something? Plus, if this makes its way to the insurance company, me and my parents are gonna have fun....

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Best thing to do is to go to court and explain your case.

Tell them that your parents are helping to pay for school, and if they find out you will no longer be attending the school because they will cut your funding.

Tell them that you are a proactive citizen, maybe mention any extra-curricular activities you participate in.

Tell them you'd like to help the court in any way possible. Community Service, Etc.

Be cordial and respective. But furthermore....do not lie, and say thank-you to whatever it is they tell you... (Think of it as them doing you a favor, no matter what it is.)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ticket says district court on the envelope. So through PG county? It says I can plead guilty and write an explanation and they would schedule me for a hearing. If I were to take a driving improvement class before that would help my case I'd assume?

I'm more concerned about the insurance part...my parents pay for it so yea....them not being too happy is an understatement.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
The driver's improvement class can potentially help. It will cost the same as your ticket probably $75. But can spare the points from going on your record.

You do need to make sure that if you go that route they give you JUST the class.

For my first ticket they gave me both points and the class. Which in essence was a double wammy, because I had to pay for the class as well as the higher insurance rates.

My first ticket was when I was 18... my car insurance jumped from $900 every six months to $1800 every six months.

It has just now gone down to $800 every six months. (I'm now 21 lol)

·
your killing my fun
3,090 Posts
pat the ticket however possible because the the offense is still gonna go on your driving record and your insurance is still gonna go up so matter what you do. you can try and get community service but your parents are gonna wonder why you got community service.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I would say go to court, the biggest thing that will raise your insurance would be if you get points. And even that it may not go up it just depends on who your insurance agent is, I hade points when I was in collage but my agent said as long as I don’t have any accidents he wouldn’t raise my rate.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree with Racer Brian, go to court, I've taken both violations I've had and gotten off. Damn Bel Air PD [mad]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already told my parents about it so its no prob if I have community service.

I'm 18, have had my license 3 years this April and have only one warning outside of this. So hopefully USAA won't jack my rates up.

So I should goto Court and plead innocence (which I damn well know I'm not) or go the hearing route?

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Go to court and plead Quilty , but with an explanation...DO NOT BS the judge, I can tell you he has heard it all. Be respectful and remorseful. Request community service, explain your money situation to the court..You may get a PBJ ( probation) if it is your first offense.

GO TO COURT!!!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
The courts around here actually take payments, so see if thats an option for you. Also when is the court date? Are you sure you dont have enough time to save?

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Explain you case as mentioned above.

I think that if you plead guilty, and just let the court know whats going on in your life...

School, Girlfriend, Service at your church etc.... they may go lenient on you. (Maybe no points just probation as mentioned above.)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i too say go to court, when i was younger i was cought going 77 i think ina 35, lol. the officer told me to go to court and he would go and recomend that the judge drop it to a 7 over or somthing. that way my fine way way less and i didnt get points and my insurance didnt go up. if they look at your record and think you are a decent kid they will try and help you out, around here at least. then again im sure if they are having a bad day you will be screwed.

·
Registered
975 Posts
ur insurance will go up.
i was in my dad insurance paying 664 for 6 months and got two 1-9mph over speeding tickets and it jumped up to 1059.
then on monday i went with geico and it would have been 770 but with the tickets it went to 1098.
ur ticket may be worse because u were going double the indicated speed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm. I got a ticket for going 70 in a 55 ($90). My court date is coming up soon, and basically if the cop shows up I'm pleading guilty with reason (late to work) but if he doesn't show up then it's not guilty. At any rate, I want to make it so I don't get points on my license and have my insure go up from the $150 a month it is right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts