Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this car after having a rental Focus in college, remembering how well the vehicle drove and the great gas milage it got. I love my new purchase and look forward to getting to know people and learning/educating myself on the forums.

Any general initial preventative maintenance advice is appreciated! It is at 36k miles and appears to have fairly new tires. The detailers did a really good job before I bought it, the only thing is the AC smells a little mildewy like it has not been used in a long time. Other that that the car smells great like a new car should.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I think I'll send this to the MkIII section for a few more looks from other owners of the model.

Cabin air filter comes to mind as one item you may want to change if the odor doesn't disappear now that it isn't sitting. Seen a few mention a musty odor building over time & that should take care of it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Not much to do to it beyond changing the oil every 5-10k and rotating the tires etc. Take some time and read the manual...it's all spelled out there. On the odor issue, I would change the cabin filter...search here as there is a thread about this.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
pretty much just oil changes and filters for now. these are cars are pretty low maintance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
normal fluid maintenance.

as for the smell you should start with the cabin air filters. If that is not the issue it could be bacteria resulting from moisture on the evaporator. Dealership or other places should have a cleaner that will be circulated through the system and help clean and deodorize. There is likely something you can spray into the cabin air filter hole to accomplish the same but have not used anything over the counter before. The dealership method is basically a fog machine that is placed in the passenger foot well with the vehicle HVAC system on. The special sauce is fogged into the HVAC system. It worked really well when I used to perform at BMW.

·
Registered
822 Posts
pretty much just oil changes and filters for now. these are cars are pretty low maintance.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. People should check their oil level periodically BETWEEN oil changes. That's always been true, but now with oil change periods longer between changes and more people NOT changing their own oil, it is more important than ever. Most owners with new cars think that just having the oil changed when scheduled is enough. Wrong.

·
Registered
984 Posts
^^^100% agree. Check mine once a month regardless.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Stuff not mentioned: coat all the plastic inside the cabin with a silicone protectant. The plastic is cheap and can degrade. The protectant will stop that more than not.

ALL rubber anywhere: coat with a silicone protectant.
This includes all around each door seal, under the hood front and back rubber seals, The trunk seal/hatch seal.
If you have fabric seating, use Scotchguard spray and protect the seats from stains.
One can will do all the seating surface. Also do the door inserts which are fabric. Need to be able to leave the car open (all four doors) for say an hour or so after.. Sooner rather than later is much better. Waiting then all you do is seal in the dirt you already added...

Wax the paint!! Not some easyspray on. really wax the car with a rub on/off wax.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. People should check their oil level periodically BETWEEN oil changes. That's always been true, but now with oil change periods longer between changes and more people NOT changing their own oil, it is more important than ever. Most owners with new cars think that just having the oil changed when scheduled is enough. Wrong.
Well i never said do it when scheduled i just said oil changes. that would be up to him to determine how often he wants to do them. i personally change mine every 3,000 miles and check the level a couple times a month.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My AC, I just noticed, whistles slightly in one of the vents when on full blast. Any remedy without taking it in?

·
Registered
984 Posts
My AC, I just noticed, whistles slightly in one of the vents when on full blast. Any remedy without taking it in?
Sounds silly, but have you wiggled/opened/closed the vents...mine will do that if one is mostly closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts