Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - first post, looks like a great forum!

I just inherited a 2003 Ford Focus ZTS 4-door sedan from my father-in-law. I'll be using the car in the winter only (mid Nov-mid-March) since I drive a '97 Mazda Miata the other months out of the year. The ZTS has 4 Bridgestone Blizzak tires on it for the winter job with approx 60-70% tread remaining.

The car is jet black with 122k miles. Oil was changed faithfully every 3k miles.

What do I need to be aware of as far as REQUIRED maintenance and what is highly recommended? And is this a non-interferrance motor, like the Miata? (if the timing belt snaps, it doesn't basically ruin the engine/block).

Thanks! :)

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
if its the zetec, i reccomend changing the timing belt if it hasnt been done already, but besides that, there isnt much else besides your average oil change and whatnot. Maybe replace the serpentine if its needed.

Beyond that, alot of people have taken the focus platform past the 200k mark without too much headache, so long as you are proactive about caching issues before they can grow, the car will be good to you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if its the zetec, i reccomend changing the timing belt if it hasnt been done already, but besides that, there isnt much else besides your average oil change and whatnot. Maybe replace the serpentine if its needed.

Beyond that, alot of people have taken the focus platform past the 200k mark without too much headache, so long as you are proactive about caching issues before they can grow, the car will be good to you.
What reg maintenance should I stay up on besides oil changes? Coolant flushes necessary? How about the radiator - does it last past 150k miles?

According to the VIN, it is a ZETEC. Noted on the timing belt - will do that next spring/fall or so.

How long do the shocks/struts last on the stock springs?

·
Registered
128 Posts
If they're the original dampers then you would want to replace them. You can tell by if the car floats like a boat if you need new ones.
Find out if the timing belt has been changed. if it hasn't then change asap because the motor is interference. Other than that the zetec is a great little engine!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
To answer your question, it is a non interference motor. Theoretically, you shouldn't crunch your motor if it breaks.

Otherwise, I would just replace stuff as you need too, or if you upgrade any. Since it sounds like a winter only car, I'm guessing you are modifying it much?

Hows it handle compared to your Miata?

·
Registered
301 Posts
okay so far 2 posts say interference and 1 says non-interference.... which is it guys? i have always thought it was non-interference....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts