Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, almost a true "ram air". I used ABS plastic sheet to make the ramp. here are the pics.

1. This shows where the driver's side of the grill "rams" the air up to the SVT snorkle.

Larger Pic

2. Here's a top view showing there's pretty much no way but up for the air coming in through the grill.

Larger Pic

3. Here's the end result. I cut an opening on the factory piece. I opened it up to the top of the tent looking thing that blocks debris that come through the grill. This effectively block debris as designed by Ford AND allow "ram air" from the front grill opening to the now enlarged (SVT snorkle $16.00)

Larger Pic

4. Here I opened up the silencer box and re-used the ZX3 stock snorkle to "ram" more air into the cold-air box. I had to used an air saw to cut an opening on the fender well right behind the headlamp assembly. This allows for the snorkle oriented upside down to be positioned right up to the fender well and face forward. Then as the picture shows, it terminated close enough to the silencer box.

Larger Pic

After re-installing everything, I test drove it. Can you say "WOW" a hundred times? [^]
I do however hear a whistle now above 3K which is very cool [thumb] . 5th gear now feels like 4th and 4th gear feels like 3rd etc.. Basically, it pulls and pulls now. [thumb

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but i think alot of these "gains" are mental.

I doubt you would feel a difference from this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's probably VERY minimal gain. But the "butt-dyno" tells me that I gained a bit more. It might be 80% mental gain and 20% actual gain but it's a gain non the less. The combination of a bigger (SVT) snorkle(I also enlarged the opening at the bottom of the cold air box) and more cool air flow, in theory, flows 50% better. 2 inch snorkle versus 3 inch snorkle should somewhat help. Oh, did I mention I ran a 16 flat versus 16.1 before this mod? I would not post any mods here unless I can confirm a gain. I have to admit I was disappointed because I thought this will bring my ET below 16 but 1/10 faster is a GOOD gain. Just my .02 Besides, it's a good prep work for my soon to come MAC 65 mm throttle body [:p] No flames intended BLKZX3 and I value your opinion so please don't rain on my parade [:D]

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Nope, not trying to rain.

Also, where did you get 16 flat...was it at a track?

With your mods you shouldn't be getting so low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OOPS ! G-tech pro. [8] But I will run my car someday once I know I can run below 16. Mods to come to achieve this: MAC Headers, 65 TB, UDP and Diablosport chip and Borla catback.
I also know that the G tech is NOT an accurate equipment but somehow enough to gauge gains.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
u shouldnt be able to come close to a 16 flat with bigger wheels on it especially. anyway, get an intake if you want a t/b and all that. the stock box just doesnt flow enough. get ice man or volant. good idea on the set up gets my thumbs up as a home brew

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
if i may offer a suggestion, it would be a bit better if you just lost the resonator and ran your snorkel to the hole where it was, right now that air isnt really going in there the way it is to well, a tight fit between the two will work better as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the suggestion mofocus. I am waiting for a new replacement part(silencer) since I messed up the first one. It would have a hole the same size as the 2 inch snorkle tube. I would then pressure fit the tube into it. This I think makes a cleaner interface to the factory cold air box rather than just attaching to the rectangular opening. You're on the right track though. More pix to come. [thumb]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zarelli6, I started out with a piece of cardboard. I used a very sharp pair of scissors to make the cuts. Basically, just do the best you can to seal out as much gap as you can. Then when you are done, just trace it over a sheet of ABS plastic and cut. I used 3 screws to hold it in place. CAUTION: use just long enough screws to hold the piece because if its too long, then you will puncture the radiator behind it. The bottom portion just sits in between a ledge at the bottom edge. You will know what I am talking about when you look at it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Just about what the european radiator top does, i was thinking of that side thing with the stock snorkel for the volant

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
hey what about subs the snorkle on the volant for a dryer tube and place it behind the lower grill...
i might try that one out....

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Looks good to me. I felt a decent gain, course probably mental, when I installed just the resonator duct to the stock airbox.

·
Registered
672 Posts
This contribution is a little late but. Many years ago I worked on a 240Z with cold air mods. Then, the acceptable knowledge was that there was a 1% hp change for each 7 degrees or ingested air change.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey thanks for the mod. I just did it today and I do feel some difference. Its not to bad. I have a K&N typhoon and I have a heat shield. The snorkle runs right between my sheild and my filter. Little different from your setup! But yeah I seem to feel more power! Thnaks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your really not going to get much power out of a mod like this. your intake/exhaust is only as good as the smallest opening. And i know the TB is wimpy. looks kinda cool though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts