Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my friends has a 99 civic si coupe 5 speed and all he has is an exhaust. will i be able to beat him. i have mac headers, bosal hi flow cat, flexpipe, magnaflow 2.25, volant cai, fc 65mm tb, autolite dbl pltm spark plugs, and 8.5mm spark plug wires. i was wondering, what octane gas do you all use? i have always put 89 in mine. should i go up to 93, use 87, or still use 89?

·
Registered
845 Posts
The octane has been discussed before...do a search for the topic. It basically said, use 87 unless you increase your compression or buy a new chip in which case you will need 93. 89 is probably just a waste of $$.

I think you could take the guy, but it depends on your driving ability vs. his (unless you have an automatic, then it's his driving ability against a sluggish tranny, but you may still take him).

·
Registered
845 Posts
"I'm gonna stay with my original answer Regis..."

[email protected] (crank) = about [email protected] (usable crank) = about 120-130 at the wheels...
stock ZX3=110 at the wheels at about the same rpm (around 5k) with the mods list = about 120 at wheels....

If I were to bet on it, I'd bet on the most skilled driver (off the line). After 3rd gear, he may take you, but you may/may not need to shift out of third in a 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a 5 speed. so i guess im going to take out my speakers, spare tire, and golf clubs and race him. thanks for the input.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
from those numbers it looks like the SI is kinda low on the torque end of the curve though. You may be able to pull away if you have similar hp numbers and driving skills, you may get it down faster.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think you can beat him. Practice your heel&toe and try not to bark the tires too bad. If you take him off the line and he passes you in third, just say you eased up on the gas. lol...he'll never know unless he's driven a Focus. We get really sluggish up there for some reason...I'm hoping the stage 1 cams can solve this problem in my car.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Uh...with his list of mods he's making more than 120hp at the wheels buddy.

You should take him, launch at like 3500rpm, dont yank the clutch out too hard or you'll have a wheelspin problem.

·
Registered
845 Posts
sshhhh..I wanted him to try harder - lol

I thought I was lowballing it a little, but it's not much. A ZX3 is about 110-115 at wheels stock.

You should launch a little less than 3500rpm...try around 2500. Trust your engine and not your clutch. I'm guessing you didn't spend all that money on those engine mods just to burn out a clutch + you'll probably get excited and burn the tires at 3500rpms with a heavy foot. Be calm and trust the ZETEC. You can take him.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Yeah, but look at his list of mods.

The entire exhaust is done(headers,flex,cat,cat-back), intake, throttle body etc.

I would say more like 130-135 at the wheels.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
id say mid 120s out of that. anyway, ive beatin SIs with intake and exhaust and all i have is a volant, 65mm tb, udp, and sparks. it really comes down to the driver. if u get a good launch on him you shoud beat him thru most of third. the last time i raced an SI i had a person in my and the SI didnt and we started from a roll, i took the SI till about 85 from 20 and just as the si started comin up from my rear bumper i slowed down. the si wouldnt have passed till probably 95 or 100 anyway which is way higher than our 1/4 trap speed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright thanks guys. see this is a club that flagged me over the other day when i was driving by and they are all making fun of the focus' and saying how slow they are. they wanted me to race a 2003 lancer. all he has is headers. they said that would be a close race. i think i should be able to beat him pretty bad though. so tonight im taking out my speakers and spare tire and im going to race the lancer and then the SI.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here in about a week i will have enough money saved up to buy cams. I dont really plan on doing anything else. im going to have my udp kit put on this weekend and when i get my cams, im going to have those installed and my cam gears at the same time. since im not doing anything else like a p&p, what stage do you guys reccomend i buy. oh and one of the guys in that club has a 2000 firebird v8 with headers, cams, intake, exhaust, and 100 hp shot of nos. so after i race the lancer and civic i think im going to blow him away [rofl]. [joke]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i think im going to get the custom diablo chip and the stage 2 cams. thanks euro. btw i beat the lancer tonight pretty bad and i didnt get to race the civic. i did race a 99 eclipse gs 5speed tonight. he said that all he had done was a CAI. him and i were exactly the same until we hit 4th then he left me. should we have tied that race or should i have whipped him? it was a little weird though usually when i shift from 1st to 2nd i spin tires pretty good but this time i didnt spin them at all. oh and the guy with the lance is getting a 75hp shot of nos i think he will be able to take me then.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hondas suck![chair]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts