Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 SVT in beyond mint condition, and has poteintial to have much more power. But considering im a fulltime student in college, its hard to pull together money. Which brings me to my question. Is there anyway I can become a beta tester for new turbos? Or sell my car to some vendor and slap stickers on my car for turbos? Does anyone understand what im asking? I kinda feel dumb, and broke. I need more power in this car.[:)~]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
not really, you'd need a new car that no one has turbo'd before, like a 2012 focus to loan to topspeed. else you gotta do it the hard way!

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
no, not really. There have to be millions of people looking for the same thing.

Just be patient, do what you can afford and wait for the other stuff later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats wht I have been doing is just gathering a few parts. But im just so bored of the naturally aspirated motor. I wanna start on a car thats already focred induced. Im looking into the SRT4(Let the Flaming begin) but its just the fact that its already boosted and all I would need to do is tweak it for more power and wht not

·
Registered
90 Posts
drive it, enjoy it, save your money. once you start piecing together crap because you dont have the money you will have a broke car for weeks on end.

the time will come when you can afford to do things that you enjoy. even if you did sell your car to get a high milage abused srt4 your going to be in the same boat in that you would need to spend any extra money on tuning, parts, etc.

The only rewarding part about saving cash is spending it later lol... bought my focus for 5k cash, now the mach1 feels faster when i switch cars at lunch :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
What year are you in? Just graduated a little over a year ago.

My advice would be find a place where driving what you got (an N/A with great handles and brakes) isn't boring. Anybody can just stomp on the gas an throw the shifter around and call themselves a driver. Plus even if you were boosted you'd prolly get bored of that eventually too.

Here's a link to the Houston region Sports Car Club of America they hold racing events that you can get involved in, all you need is a helmet and in most cases they have loaner helmets at events.

http://www.houscca.com/

Thats what id did i bought a beater did rallycross. But you could prolly autocross in your dd no problem. I had a blast racing, so much so, that power on the street didn't really matter at all to me. Plus Driver modification [driving] is alot cheaper and more fun than car modification ;)

IT by the way, is a great conversation piece with the ladies at the weekend festivities [angel]

·
Registered
120 Posts
With that being said, Once i got an income and the money, I bought a used Roush turbo kit and plan on boosting my SVT as soon as i can afford the tuning software and the tune for it. I cant wait. It's gonna be Bad*ss!

If you want to boost your car but don have very much experience working on this sort of thing expect to pay somewhere around 1500-2500 for a full used kit, and another 1000 between the AFR gauge and tuning software, not to mention the upgraded transmission stuff you'll need. You'll have to put an LSD and an upgraded clutch in there to handle the extra power. If it's your daily driver you want it to be reliable.

If you like working on cars read up about it Corky Bell's Maximum boost is a great read and explains everything under the sun about turbocharging.

If you're not really that into your focus or cars in general its alot less money and headache to go with the SRT-4

·
Registered
209 Posts
Unless you got 3k+ laying around and an extra car to drive, while it's down for a while then i would wait. I got a used vortech kit for 1600 few weeks ago and have spent about another 1500 putting it in the right way. It was a very complete kit and my svt has been down for about 3 weeks now..... and counting(done now just working on the tune with tom). I would go to some local autocross events and use it in the corners like it was made for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year are you in? Just graduated a little over a year ago.

Here's a link to the Houston region Sports Car Club of America they hold racing events that you can get involved in, all you need is a helmet and in most cases they have loaner helmets at events.

http://www.houscca.com/

Thats what id did i bought a beater did rallycross. But you could prolly autocross in your dd no problem. I had a blast racing, so much so, that power on the street didn't really matter at all to me. Plus Driver modification [driving] is alot cheaper and more fun than car modification ;)

IT by the way, is a great conversation piece with the ladies at the weekend festivities [angel]
I will definetnly research this track. I was thinking about getting into the autocross. Hopefully you can win some money when racing. But thanks for the advice everyone! I just wanna go fast, likee rickyy bobby :p ha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts