Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the motor craft semi synthetic oil, K&N oil filter.

I was surprised by the cover underneath, but that's the hardest part about changing the oil. I dont think you could put the oil filter in a better spot.

Only had about 2950 miles, I read you can get away with 5 but since it's new I wanted to change it sooner since parts are settling and such.

Did the oil life reset which is easy enough, and my car is ready to go with it's new blood. [wrenchin]

·
Registered
113 Posts
A little off topic, but who does MotorCraft get their oil from? I picked up some Mobile1 Full Synthetic for my first change waiting to happen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beats me. Hopefully 'mericuhhh lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
stupid question but does changing oil yourself do something to your warranty since Ford won't have paperwork stating that your oil was changed regularly...

·
Registered
968 Posts
stupid question but does changing oil yourself do something to your warranty since Ford won't have paperwork stating that your oil was changed regularly...
Not sure, but I would keep the receipts for the oil and filter just in case. Personally, I plan on letting a local Ford dealer handle my services until at least the first 36k miles.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
355 Posts
Keep your receipts for oil and filter... or select a good local shop who keep electronic records.

I've had all my vehicles done at a local mom and pop shop for the last 15yrs. They use my brand, and they use Wix filters. Every time I've sold or traded a vehicle they print me out a history report showing dates, mileage, and any fluids or expendables used. Costs $25 bucks per, but I know I'm getting quality service at a fair price.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
If you do the oil changes your self then keep the receipts, this is what you will use for your record. This has been asked before wayyy back in the day when the second gen came out. If I remember right this was the response that ford told someone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A little off topic, but who does MotorCraft get their oil from? I picked up some Mobile1 Full Synthetic for my first change waiting to happen.
I have heard Valvoline and I've also heard Havoline. [idea]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cool, did you use the HP-1002 filter?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I think it's odd that everyone feels that they need to change their oil so early. The manufacturer states up to 10k, why so early?

·
Registered
155 Posts
There are many who believe it is a good idea to get the break in oil with any excess metal particles out early. It stands to reason there would be more than normal with it being a brand new engine. It probably doesn't matter as much these days as machining tolerances have gotten so much better. It is cheap protection though, and it couldn't hurt to be careful. I plan to do my first change at about 2.5-3k. I'll then probably go to every 5-7.5k with Mobil 1. I'm sure Ford has the testing to show 10k is safe, but it will take a while before I feel comfortable stretching a change interval that long.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Keep your receipts for oil and filter... or select a good local shop who keep electronic records.

I've had all my vehicles done at a local mom and pop shop for the last 15yrs. They use my brand, and they use Wix filters. Every time I've sold or traded a vehicle they print me out a history report showing dates, mileage, and any fluids or expendables used. Costs $25 bucks per, but I know I'm getting quality service at a fair price.
can you PM me where you get your servicing done? noticed you're pretty close to where i live...

·
Registered
355 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are many who believe it is a good idea to get the break in oil with any excess metal particles out early. It stands to reason there would be more than normal with it being a brand new engine. It probably doesn't matter as much these days as machining tolerances have gotten so much better. It is cheap protection though, and it couldn't hurt to be careful. I plan to do my first change at about 2.5-3k. I'll then probably go to every 5-7.5k with Mobil 1. I'm sure Ford has the testing to show 10k is safe, but it will take a while before I feel comfortable stretching a change interval that long.
For the record, there are also many who believe in following the prescribed maintenance procedures. I respect your decision to change your oil early, and this is probably one of the hottest-contested arguments in the oil industry.

My last vehicle had all the servicing done at the prescribed maintenance intervals, and I had zero engine problems.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I changed mine at just about 5,000 miles and I noticed something strange...

For the first few hundred miles after I changed the oil the car ran *AMAZINGLY*. I was between a BMW 335i, Mercedes C300, and this car...ended up buying the Ford. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase, but I know the car doesn't run quite as well as the 2 German cars do (nobody would expect it to...especially considering this was 30k, those were both around 50k). For the first few hundred miles after the change (probably 250 or so) it ran *just* as well as the other 2 cars do. It was incredible.

And now it's back to normal. Like I said, I'm completely fine with it where it is, just thought it was weird that for a week it ran *SO* much better. New oil shouldn't change it *that* much (using Valvoline 5w20 full synthetic).

Other than that, easiest oil change I've ever done. Taking off the cover was simple and they put the drainage plug and oil filter in the *PERFECT* spots. Just too bad the Titanium makes it hard to actually jack up the car with all the plastic lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also wanted to get the break-in oil out around 1,000 miles, and more importantly, I wanted to go from dino-lube to a full synthetic. Just did mine at 1,200 miles with Mobil-1 and a Mobil-1 filter. Autozone had 5 qts + filter on sale for under $33. The oil filter and drain are easy to get to and well designed. I reset the oil life monitor and will do the next oil change when the car tells me it is time.

I used ramps and just drove the car up - no need to mess with jacks and jack stands.

While I was under there I looked around and noticed that the engine bay is very very crowded underneath. The AC Compressor looks like it is molded into the engine itself (I know it isn't) but there's not a lot of room to work on anything down there! Will make for some interesting shade-tree mechanic days in my future :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used ramps too. Rotating the tires will be a pain I think with all the plastic.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used jack stands to remove all the wheels when I was putting on my molded splashguards and didn't have any trouble with plastic getting in the way. Rotating tires should be a piece of cake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts