Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I’m Jase a male nurse (of 25+ years) from North Carolina. Father of 3 and happy to be here. Picked up my Focus from Carvana with less then 27k miles on her. She’s neat a pin inside and out. It’s an automatic but I did notice tonight on my drive into work it was jerking in lower gears. Thank God it’s still under warranty because I’ll have to take her in next week to get looked at. Personally love the look of the car and up until tonight the drive has been fantastic as well.
Anyway glad to be a member, more of a lurker then a poster.
Sincerely,
Jase

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not long ago another user complained of jerking but it was not clear what he meant. Do you mean when shifting gears, or stumbling within a range of a gear? The only jerking I ever experienced were misfires, but there can be other causes.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The wonderful dry dual clutch transmission definitely get it to the dealership when you can while you still have a warranty.

I'm actually surprised carvana would sell one of those cars with the transmission having so many potential issues.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
The "sky is falling" people don't need to ask questions. They already know everything. But don't let them discourage you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the reply’s. To answer the first question - the jerking is when driving and from 25mph-ish the RPM shoot up and then there is a physical jerk as if the transmission is shifting into an upper gear before the RPMs shoot back down.
At cruising speed it’s fine, but when going from like (what I assume) 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th it physically jerks and feels like it take a moment to before it’s in gear. It also does it as it down shifts to a lower gear when slowing down. What’s odd is Carvana gives you 7 days and in that 7 days we were going all over town and running errands and the drive was silky smooth. Seriously making me fall in love with the car. The day after that grace period ended - and I was in my way to work (I work as a home health nurse working with young adults and teens that are home bound due to spinal injuries and are on ventilators to just breathe) and on my way it started doing this. This morning (I work 16hr shifts) I got in the car to come home and it was still doing it even though I performed the “Transmission Reset” and now the engine light is on too. Sooooo, I’ll be taking our older car the rest of the weekend and first thing Monday morning I be taking it to Ford.

Honestly - I still love the car. I’m not soured on it. I just want it fixed. So, if Ford can fix it and make things right then I’m good. I literally see people each day in my work that are so young and have so many obstacles and issues in front of them that a car that’s under warranty that is acting up is a hiccup and makes me realize how lucky I am that - that’s my only problem.
Take Care ~ Jase

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sounds like the Ford defect. As Zac's link says:

"This settlement is entirely reliant on the consumers' decision to file a claim. ... It's up to the consumer whether they want to let Ford keep their money."

So you will have to pursue a claim to get saitisfaction. Hopefully it's not limited to the original owner. They try that trick sometimes.

·
Registered
912 Posts
There is no fix, sir. That transmission is garbage & you should’ve done some research on it before purchasing the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not everyone has time to become an expert before buying a car. He checked it out for a week. At some point you pay your money and take your chances.

I bet Mike at Mike's transmission could fix it. Pageland SC if you're in the area.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Temporary fix only but some get lucky and the repair last a significant time others not so much. Unfortunately dry clutches are just not a good idea. Wet clutch only for a DCT transmission.

The OP has a great attitude and I wish him luck.
I'm just disappointed carvana would sell one.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not everyone has time to become an expert before buying a car. He checked it out for a week. At some point you pay your money and take your chances.

I bet Mike at Mike's transmission could fix it. Pageland SC if you're in the area.

Are you really going to go there? The ole ‘not w everyone has time’ dealio? Lol it literally takes 30 seconds to google search ‘Ford Focus transmission’ & it will come right up.

I’m frustrated because Ford knowingly continued selling these cars w/o a fix.

His 2017 is probably under a 5/60 until 2022, but after that? Best of luck.... those clutch packs are $$$$ out of pocket.

Also, who has the time to continuously drop their car off at a dealership & not be compensated with a loaner?

·
Registered
309 Posts
He has a demanding job and a family. Time is money too. Most people don't care that much about cars in the first place. They just want easy access to transportation. You car freaks are a minority.

·
Registered
912 Posts
He has a demanding job and a family. Time is money too. Most people don't care that much about cars in the first place. They just want easy access to transportation. You car freaks are a minority.

More excuses.....

I’ll tell you from experience that it’s roughly $2000-2200 out of pocket for a new clutch on those cars. Most non-car people are smart enough to buy Corollas & Civics. It’s not rocket science to know that Toyota & Honda rule the small-compact reliability & mpg market.

As far as Carvana selling it, I’ve also noticed CarMax selling them, so they must have no problem lying to their customers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Blaming someone asking for help is not helpful. If you can't understand that, shutup and go away. Loser.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Blaming someone asking for help is not helpful. If you can't understand that, shutup and go away. Loser.

Here’s what I would say to that.....

For any non-car people, I’d say ask questions on a particular make/model before purchasing it, not after. Had he come on here beforehand, we may have steered him away from the dual clutch.

It’s too late now though, the dealership service Dept. will just act stupid everytime he takes it in.... “oh, we will check it out & drive it”. Blah blah nonsense, acting as though they have no clue what’s wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I honestly wasn’t looking to stir anything up here between members. There isn’t any need for anyone to get angry...it sucks that this is happening but like I said there are worst things in life. Now where I’m no car expert nor do I claim to be...I did do some research but the consensus online was that the transmission issues were limited to the 2015 and earlier models and from 2016 on the problem was resolved. So honestly I thought it wasn’t an issue with this being a 2017. After putting nearly 300 miles on her in a week I couldn’t be more please with the performance and comfort and honestly the style and interior of the car. Also under recalls which Carvana does provide there wasn’t anything that came up at all. The vehicle history was clean, one owner, and the provided service records were also just oil changes and showed no issues or major work done at all....so I felt like I was buying the cherry and not the pit. Again not any excuse but I did think I did about as much as any reasonable person would do. Again, I’m not a car guy but I didn’t blindly buy it either. With Covid and us losing nurses at my work from the start the rest of us nurses had to pick up the slack to cover open cases. I’m personally pulling 56hr weeks on my short week and 72 to a full 80 on my long weeks...I may have not been a full on Sherlock Holmes on investigating the car....but I still felt I was a pretty decent Watson. 😉

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here’s what I would say to that.....

For any non-car people, I’d say ask questions on a particular make/model before purchasing it, not after. Had he come on here beforehand, we may have steered him away from the dual clutch.

It’s too late now though, the dealership service Dept. will just act stupid everytime he takes it in.... “oh, we will check it out & drive it”. Blah blah nonsense, acting as though they have no clue what’s wrong.

But you aren’t a car person either. You’re just a dictionary perfect example of a clueless idiot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah I honestly wasn’t looking to stir anything up here between members. There isn’t any need for anyone to get angry...it sucks that this is happening but like I said there are worst things in life. Now where I’m no car expert nor do I claim to be...I did do some research but the consensus online was that the transmission issues were limited to the 2015 and earlier models and from 2016 on the problem was resolved. So honestly I thought it wasn’t an issue with this being a 2017. After putting nearly 300 miles on her in a week I couldn’t be more please with the performance and comfort and honestly the style and interior of the car. Also under recalls which Carvana does provide there wasn’t anything that came up at all. The vehicle history was clean, one owner, and the provided service records were also just oil changes and showed no issues or major work done at all....so I felt like I was buying the cherry and not the pit. Again not any excuse but I did think I did about as much as any reasonable person would do. Again, I’m not a car guy but I didn’t blindly buy it either. With Covid and us losing nurses at my work from the start the rest of us nurses had to pick up the slack to cover open cases. I’m personally pulling 56hr weeks on my short week and 72 to a full 80 on my long weeks...I may have not been a full on Sherlock Holmes on investigating the car....but I still felt I was a pretty decent Watson.
Ignore pokey, he has been banned and blocked from every other single car forum he has tried to be a part of. He is kind of a perfect Karen. Completely clueless yet an expert.

Talk to caravana ASAP, maybe they will do something if you’re willing to keep the money with them and buy a different car.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts