Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
104,000 miles on it.

I added a switch above the cigarette lighter to turn it off when I get out of the car, and replaced the cigarette lighter because it didn’t work.

What do I do now? I’m assuming I need to replace the stock plugs, I’m planning on doing it Friday and replacing them with Autolite A103s. I’ve been getting pretty bad gas mileage, but I drive very spastically sometimes.

ALSO. Everything inside rattles, I removed the armrest but it still happens from everywhere. don’t know why

Anyway, what do I do now? Improve performance, general maintenance, or what? This is my first car, I’m 19 but I’d like to learn how to do things. I really like the car and I’d like to make it nice and hopefully last me 5 years through college.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, this is definitely worth mentioning:
It squeaks when I go over bumps. I shook the car above all the tires and it seems to be originating from the rear passenger side. I don’t have much money to get things fixed, but if anyone knows what this is or if it’s important please help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The first thing I do with any used car is to do the scheduled maintenance. I also check all the fluids, and make sure all the wear and safety items are in order. I repair any issues.

After that I give it a top to bottom scrubbing, I clean and clean and clean,

You’d be surprised what you find and how much better it is after you do these things.

Next I drive it a bit. You’ll find if anything needs to be repaired or updated.

After that. I’d suggest you make a plan. If this is your daily driver work on reliability. Get the rattles and annoyances taken care of.

If you want to do performance mods, do the basics. And slowly upgrade as your skills and budget allow.

Also don’t forget that to do things you need tools. Don't buy junky tools. You don’t need Snap On but get Walmart or auto parts store junk either. Get a few good tools as budget allows and don’t forget a nice tool box. Organized and locked tools make working on your care so much nicer.

As for the plugs. I’d say that’s scheduled maintenance. So you need to see if it was done. If you have records it’s easy. If not, pull a plug and see how they look. If it’s new put it back and you’re done. If not, get the right plugs, gap them and don’t over tighten them.

Check the timing belt. (I so hate engines with timing belts. I’m so glad the newer engines have a real chain).

And most importantly congrats on your first car.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm not sure. You need to check. I'm not that familiar with the 2nd Gen. I know the 1st gen do and the 3rd don't
2007 = Mk1 (not '2nd generation'). Duratec engine used in some 2003-2004 and all 2005-2007 Mk1 Focus has a timing chain (not belt).

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
2007 = Mk1 (not '2nd generation'). Duratec engine used in some 2003-2004 and all 2005-2007 Mk1 Focus has a timing chain (not belt).

Paul
Thanks

I appreciate that
I’ve not spent a massive amount of time learning the various configurations. I’ve spent most of the time figuring out the quirks of my 2000. And trying to figure out if I want to keep it or get a 3rd gen hatch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh, this is definitely worth mentioning:
It squeaks when I go over bumps. I shook the car above all the tires and it seems to be originating from the rear passenger side. I don’t have much money to get things fixed, but if anyone knows what this is or if it’s important please help!
Squeak is most likely coming from E-Brake cable where it passes thru mounting loop under rear passenger floorpan. I zip tied mine and and the squeak went away. It was most noticeable when I had a passenger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tomf gave you great advice - follow it in that order. Don't skip forward to modifications. And buy the best tools you can afford - they will last a lifetime.

I would add - those headlights look cloudy in the pictures. Buy a kit to clean them. The latest 3M kit for heavy scratches where you use a drill for the sanding, is outstanding. They added a clear coat at the end that is really rugged - better than all the other products. Take your time and do a good job - the headlights will look factory new and you'll be able to see better at night.

·
So mote be it
8,804 Posts
The motor on the 07's are plenty durable when taken care of, you should have no problem doubling your current mileage (or more.) Stick with a synthetic oil and you should be fine pushing the change cycle to yearly or 7500 miles.

At this point, i would echo what others have said, maintenance. Get the car in good shape now and it'll be much easier to maintain.

I would pass on the autolites 103. They are a performance copper plug and they wear out much sooner than platinum or whatever is the current OEM equivelent. Changing plugs regularly is simple but why bother when you are going away at school and have other priorities? Do a longer lasting plug now and not worry about them for the next 50k miles.

If the car is still on its stock fuel filter, that should be something to replace. The filter is located on the bottom of the car near the fuel tank and can be done with the car on jacks stands (buy jack stands and wheel chocks!) Check out your brake pads and rotors for wear, they are easy to change on this car (youtube and plenty of how to's around.) Also look at your brake fluid, if its dark and gross, flush it. If your car is a manual (yay!) it shares the same fluid.

The front sway bar links are a known weak point/wear item and will make noise, especially at low speeds with a bumpy road. I had good luck with MOOG ones as replacements. rockauto.com is great source for parts and always have a 5% coupon out there. Also, at 100k, the suspension is past its prime...could be that too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went through the same thing about two years ago when I got a hand me down 2006, though with half the miles as yours but same engine Here's what I did if it helps:

They have a lot of plastic inside, and already at 54k, mine rattled horribly at idle too, arm rest, passenger seat and headrest, outside mirror... I fixed that by replacing the engine and trans mounts which are well known items to weaken and fail on these cars causing bad vibrations at idle.
I also changed the fuel filter - it was surprisingly quick and easy after watching youtube videos.
Changed trans fluid, just dropped pan and replaced filter too. They recommend both fuel filter and trans fluid replaced every 36,000 on these cars I believe...
I checked the spark plugs, I don't think they had ever been touched since new, almost felt like they were frozen but I broke them loose and checked, good condition, adjusted gap to spec and re-installed.
Mine didn't have a cabin air filter, and engine air filter is not serviceable...
Mine had bad squeak heard over every bump - well known issue caused by both parking brake cable outer sheathing rubs off from metal ring it goes through causing metal on metal. I wrap a bit of teflon around cable at the contact point, been good since.
All the heat shielding on mine had nearly or completely corroded bolts holding it up, causing it to fall in spots. Fixed it using large plastic washers with new SS bolts/screws
Replaced AC compressor, was short cycling. Horrible belt squeal after, new belt fixed that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey buddy, I have the 2007 SE for my son. I found that the squeak as GRIMland mentioned was from the parking break cable rubbing. The grommet that used to protect it from rubbing in its holder (under mid passenger side) was rubbing. I took a piece of old garden hose and slit it down the middle the wrapped it around the cable and slide it through the holder. I then put hose clamps on each side to keep it in place. Hope that works for ya.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,326 Posts
All above mentioned a lot of great points.....Main thing is to keep it properly maintained.....to add if & when you need a psm(passenger side mount) go w/ a Ford only as all the auto parts stores, ect are all crap.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts