Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first ford focus, a red 2011 SES.

I am happy so far with this model as it already has a basic sporty look thanks to the rims.
I want to get started customizing right away but am in search of ideas..I've browsing the showroom looking at other members' rides trying to get some ideas.
The only thing I've done so far is tint the windows, and I'm even thinking about re-doing it. Right now it's 5% on the rears and 2.5% on the fronts but i'm thinking about going all 2.5% or all 5% plus the tint I used wasn't very good quality / I'm not an expert... starting to see some bubbles

Headlights are black chrome instead of the chrome which I like a lot better
thinking about these though...how easy to install?:
CG® 02-AZ-FU08-PBC-RF - Ford Focus 2011 Black CCFL Halo Projector Headlights with LEDs
..any ideas on a good set of foglights/color I should get??

I plan on transferring my kicker l7 15" from my old car into this one as soon as i get my line-out converter in the mail. so that settles the need for bass

For some reason this tail light is still chrome while my headilghts/other tail light is the black painted chrome.

Not really liking the antenna either so going to start searching for another style..

I am really looking forward to some of your suggestions,
Trying to keep most of the mods cosmetic

Jimmy

·
Registered
652 Posts
Projector retrofit the stock headlights and add these fog lights

Morimoto XB LED Fog lights

You can get the dark chrome SES tails or LED tails(still have chrome)

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
As far as tinting the chrome on your tail lights you might look into getting a can of spaypaint from ppg custom mixed with your cars paint code and go that route then spray with a clear coat im planning to do that with mine and i actually did that to my interior dash panels turned out nice. Thats an idea anyway

·
Registered
963 Posts
congrats on your purchase. They are fun cars. Your lucky to have bought an SES. I have probably 2k just into swapping over to SES parts lol. For ideas feel free to steal mine. Drop it for sure. The 3d carbon lip kit is real nice for these cars too.

[/IMG]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,298 Posts
congrats on your purchase. They are fun cars. Your lucky to have bought an SES. I have probably 2k just into swapping over to SES parts lol. For ideas feel free to steal mine. Drop it for sure. The 3d carbon lip kit is real nice for these cars too.

[/IMG]
This^^^^^^^^^^^^[wiggle]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hooray another Mk2! Welcome! As far your one chrome taillight, if you bought this car from a dealership I would ask them to see if they can swap in the correct one. If not, then just keep an eye out on eBay. I would never personally recommend tinting your own windows as it's a pretty difficult job and usually results in bubbles or ends up fading purple unless you buy quality tint and know the process well. I've always gotten my tint professionally done and I have no regrets.

Does yours have a manual or automatic transmission? If it's a manual my first mod recommendation would be to install a short shifter. It really improves the shifting feel in these cars. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am biased but 10-11 SES is the best looking Mk2. Keep it discreet and don't mess it up. I would match up the rear tailights just because them not matching would bug me. Smoke is preferable, but the other is easier to find. Debadging some trunk embladge is quick and easy.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I'd be looking to see if the car was rear-ended at some point and if the taillights were a cheap replacement to the more expensive black housing.

My thoughts: if you can't do the tint properly, don't do it.

This chassis responds well to suspension upgrades and there are a dozen ways to do it. Personally, I'm exhausted from explaining the suspension to every single person so just take a few hours some day to look on this website for the numerous threads that describe everything in detail.

Audio is a pain in the ass because of the SYNC system. If you can't afford to do it exactly right the first time, don't bother trying.

Some simple ways to get more power would be a K&N air filter, Autolite 104 copper plugs at 0.050-0.055 and for fun you can remove the rear-most exhaust resonator. Beefs up the sound a little bit and Ford actually marketed it as a "sport exhaust" option in 2009 with a 3hp gain over standard. Take that with a grain of salt...

Get some decent tires. Even if you don't do anything else, the tires will make the biggest difference in how you are able to drive the vehicle.

If you don't mind slightly increased vibration, the lower 'dogbone' engine mount can be replaced with a stiffer unit. This makes a noticeable difference if you are a spirited driver.

Have fun with it and don't do anything stupid.

If it's a manual my first mod recommendation would be to install a short shifter. It really improves the shifting feel in these cars. :)
I would have to second this. If you can find them (or make them) Solid shifter mount bushings will also make a huge difference and work very well together with the Steeda short-throw shifter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great replies

Yeah i'm not sure as to why one tail light is different from the others...it has a clean carfax report but that doesn't mean it wasn't hit and fixed under the table without paperwork..I'll definitely replace next paycheck. I like the black chrome look so i probably won't do any tinting..but im still thinking about upgrading the headlights to the Black CCFL Halo Projectors

Suspension is something i noticed about this car it seems a little rickety at only 70k miles...could also be how the previous owners drove it but it's almost as bad as my mazda protege at 240k miles

I'll get a k&n air filter no doubt..

SYNC is poor without MFT but im not going to change it because it's a marketing point if i ever want to sell (which I will). I've already pulled the "central control panel" (as i like to call it) out of the dash to investigate how easy it would be to put in an aftermarket head unit...there's a lot of work involved and im not sure it would be worth it...So im going to leave it stock to keep it nice and clean. The factory door speakers are already crisp&clear and with the factory amp in the back i shouldn't need a stronger head unit. I just got my line out converter in the mail today so i will be able to run my system off of the existing factory amp outputs leaving every thing else intact. I have a kicker l7 15" with a 3000watt amp and a digital capacitor and seperate battery that i need to figure out how i'm going to mount and route the wires for (thank god for the SES's big trunk space...aiming to get it done tonight if its not raining when i get off work)

Tires..tires...tires....always buying new tires...

Its an automatic so can't do a short shifter

Found a nice guide to removing the rear exhaust resonator but i dont like the flex-pipe look so i may take it to a shop and get it welded

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
A noisy suspension could be dry bushings on the sway bars.

A knocking sound could be ruined end-links.

Both common issues that are easily repaired.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I just did my girlfriends endlinks on her mazda3 (same exact setup) and it was a breeze. The Moogs are twice as much but they're probably worth it. You can definitely see a difference.

If your not looking at going fully done up motor and everything I would remove the lunchbox and quit while your ahead. It's more then enough sound and the automatic can be very drone-y at times.

I recently did the Halo Projectors and install was very easy, 6 bolts for the grill and 3 each on the headlights. Everything was plug and play, and took about 25 minutes.

And for ****s sake, don't put HIDs in them.

By the way I only paid 300$ for mine off Amazon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the projector headlights as well and I absolutely love them. Also swapped every bulb on the car to LED. You got a good color and lucky enough to get the 10-11 that have the good looking bumpers, I have an 09 ses and I got stuck with the older style and I hate them. As far as looks I second the 3dcarbon kit, its an awesome lip kit for our cars, glad to see another mk2 owner!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just did my girlfriends endlinks on her mazda3 (same exact setup) and it was a breeze. The Moogs are twice as much but they're probably worth it. You can definitely see a difference.

If your not looking at going fully done up motor and everything I would remove the lunchbox and quit while your ahead. It's more then enough sound and the automatic can be very drone-y at times.

I recently did the Halo Projectors and install was very easy, 6 bolts for the grill and 3 each on the headlights. Everything was plug and play, and took about 25 minutes.

And for ****s sake, don't put HIDs in them.

By the way I only paid 300$ for mine off Amazon.

Oh man i like those headlights a lot better seeing them on your car..
I already bought them at retail price...I shoulda checked amazon..ugh..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts