Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how ya doin, im brand new to this place, and I just bought a 2000 ZX3, MTX75, navy blue, 30200 miles, excellent condition, yesterday for $4500. I've actually been a big Mustang enthusiast for a long while now, but have settled for the focus due to the fact that I found it at trade-in price and the reliability is better than a fox body.. plus i won't mind putting lots of miles on it going back and forth from work like i would a Mustang. I got no mods for now, but this place has already helped me to look up what i'm getting.. As of now heres the quick and dirty plans:

First, Steeda Tri-Ax Shorty, Steeda pedals
Second, AEM CAI (don't worry I dont live in a flood zone), FC 65mm Throttle body, Nitrous Express 75 hp wet system, Steeda high flow fuel rails, Steeda plug wires

question, will it be necessary or extremely wise to do the MSD ignition in order to ensure proper spark for the 75 shot in order to prevent detonation or is Fords ignition reliable enough to not worry about it?

Thanks,
Jim

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Can't help you on your NOS question but I'm sure someone here can/will. Welcome.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
welcome to the forum jim. hope you like it here. congrats on the new purchase. i love the focus and i cant wait to get me another one

·
Registered
793 Posts
welome buddy!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to tell ya the truth, i don't really like the sound of the exhaust on most 4 cyls, so i'd rather not mod there.. as for the headers, I can't buy into the fact that headers only net a 4-6 hp gain.. I mean obviously its not a 20 hr install where you drop out the engine like in a V8, but only 4-6 hp for headers?? it just sounds so strange.. but makes sense, considering you can bolt them on in your garage. besides, i wouldn't do the headers unless i did the whole exhaust. but hell, if any of you guys got sound clips of your focus with whatever exhaust, post em up on my other thread so you can convince me. thanks

Jim

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
focus sport makes a stealth exhaust system that stays real quiet. www.focussport.com

about the header... will full exhaust, header, cat, flex, and catback you will net 10-12 whp not crank. whp. and a good amount of torque. the focus only has about 110 whp out of the box. so with just full exhaust giving u a 10% hp increase at the wheels isnt bad at all. 4 bangers arent going to make the same #s as v8s with mods but still can be fairly quick. if u can get ur focus up to about 150 whp u will be running next to turbo eclipses and talons. but 150whp doesnt sound like much right? fact though.... go to www.mcnewsautomotive.com they have a 13 second focus making about 165 whp. thats on drag radials though.

im just not a fan of N2O especially since ur going to be putting on such a very mildly modded car. but to each his own

·
Registered
281 Posts
The wonderful thing about the Focus is that each and every exhaust system sounds drastically different from one another on the Focus, which is something Honda boys can't say from what I've heard (not ripping on Honda!). As for fuel rail....are you gonna need it?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I don't think you'll have to worry about the ignition because you're going to blow the car up with a 75 shot. Congratulations on your purchase. That's a steal. I didn't know they were that cheap.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
05MustangWanter said:
how ya doin, im brand new to this place, and I just bought a 2000 ZX3, MTX75, navy blue, 30200 miles, excellent condition, yesterday for $4500. I've actually been a big Mustang enthusiast for a long while now, but have settled for the focus due to the fact that I found it at trade-in price and the reliability is better than a fox body.. plus i won't mind putting lots of miles on it going back and forth from work like i would a Mustang. I got no mods for now, but this place has already helped me to look up what i'm getting.. As of now heres the quick and dirty plans:

First, Steeda Tri-Ax Shorty, Steeda pedals
Second, AEM CAI (don't worry I dont live in a flood zone), FC 65mm Throttle body, Nitrous Express 75 hp wet system, Steeda high flow fuel rails, Steeda plug wires

question, will it be necessary or extremely wise to do the MSD ignition in order to ensure proper spark for the 75 shot in order to prevent detonation or is Fords ignition reliable enough to not worry about it?

Thanks,
Jim
Comment 1. Too much nitrous on a stock zetec engine.

Comment 2. MSD ignition is useless.

Comment 3. Steeda high flow fuel rail is also useless.

Comment 4. AEM CAI isn't the best intake out there, there are other better choices.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Infra3sv said:
I don't think you'll have to worry about the ignition because you're going to blow the car up with a 75 shot. Congratulations on your purchase. That's a steal. I didn't know they were that cheap.
You are correct sir, good advice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hey if u dont like the whole import racer sound. i was told that H n R makes a some what stock muffler... but if i wanna put nos i would do greddy or hks catback/hearder system. greddy makes a really nice system for the car and its not loud at all. and for u guys that worrie about the cops, it is dot approved..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so maybe the 50 hp shot then.. who knows.. i was lookin at the MM&FF article where they just dropped the 75hp shot in right away with as little as those mods, but then again they dont care if they blow up the car, cause they'll just rebuild it bigger and better anyway.. so all of you are probably right about that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and i was figuring that the fuel rail would help give the necessary fuel a little better with the 75 hp shot then the stock rail, along with the msd to help prevent detonation on such a large load. but then again like you said, i probably wont need that since a 75hp shot would blow the thing up..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts