Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Just to be honest: On the 19th and 20th, I ran a division level (Mid-Div) autocross. I was bested in class by a Fiesta ST. But, they counted Master's class, and I won that on Sunday against a 'vette driver with a lot of experience. I ran the best I've ever done, chirping the SUR4Gs on the final curves and kissing the rev limiter at the finish line.

But it left me wondering, what if I was in a better car, applying these skills?

So, this weekend I'm going to look at a Miata. It will probably be a long learning curve, and I'll finish the current tires off before I get good race tires for the Miata. I may even sell the Steeda sway bar and wheels on this forum as I retire the car from racing to just be a daily driver.

I checked out a Z3 before, but it had a bad chassis issue. But I loved the torque of that in-line 6.
Miatas are always fun cars! If you decide to not get a Miata for any reason, look at national results to see what is competitive in a given class.

Sadly the non-ST Focus just doesn't really fit well into HS given some of the other cars in the class such as the FiST and the not current Gen Civic SI.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Miatas are always fun cars! If you decide to not get a Miata for any reason, look at national results to see what is competitive in a given class.

Sadly the non-ST Focus just doesn't really fit well into HS given some of the other cars in the class such as the FiST and the not current Gen Civic SI.
As mentioned, a non-ST Focus is pretty well out-gunned in HS. I know because I've run my Focus SE in HS the last 2 events and the Fiesta ST are 2.5 seconds quicker(albeit they are running RE71 and me on my street Conti ECS). The FiST is just a much superior car in HS.

My regular autox car is a 2010 NC Miata prepped for STR. If you want to run Street class you can have fun in a NC Miata. If you add mods to bump it into STR, you will be out-gunned by S2000 pretty badly.

I much prefer the front engine/rear drive configuration of the Miata, but a well setup FWD can be fun too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So, I found an 2011 Miata Sport edition with 6,200 miles for a reasonable price, with a clean carfax. I think it may have the factory tires. I bought it straight out, no trade. I still have my Focus and my wife has her car.

I'm going to run my Focus until the 15" Nexen tires are worn out, which will probably be by the end of this season in November. I don't run them on the street.

Until then, I'll prep the Miata for street class as far as I can. And my wife wants some road trips in it too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So, I found an 2011 Miata Sport edition with 6,200 miles for a reasonable price, with a clean carfax. I think it may have the factory tires. I bought it straight out, no trade. I still have my Focus and my wife has her car.

I'm going to run my Focus until the 15" Nexen tires are worn out, which will probably be by the end of this season in November. I don't run them on the street.

Until then, I'll prep the Miata for street class as far as I can. And my wife wants some road trips in it too.
The Sport is an open differential, correct?
That would be a significant omission for autox. Luckily(???), the Miata doesn't make a lot of torque to accelerate out of corners. It is a momentum car, so handling is most important.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The Sport is an open differential, correct?
That would be a significant omission for autox. Luckily(???), the Miata doesn't make a lot of torque to accelerate out of corners. It is a momentum car, so handling is most important.
So I plan on putting a stiff front sway bar on, and sticky SUR4G or RE71 tires. So I plan to keep the tires planted enough.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So I plan on putting a stiff front sway bar on, and sticky SUR4G or RE71 tires. So I plan to keep the tires planted enough.
RE71 or Rival1.5 will be a must.
I'd try it at 1 event before I installed a front sway bar. Installation of the front bar can be a bit of a pain, and you may find that a large front bar and stock rear bar produces too much understeer.
It is not going to be fast if it doesn't rotate well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Update: on Sunday the 23rd I'm going to take the Miata out for a autocross in OKC, charity event. Then on the 30th I will take the Focus on it last autocross. One rear tire has blisters on the edge, but no threads showing. Nov. 4th is the last race, and tire status will determine what I drive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
At the race on Sept 30 here, I corded a tire, badly. Took H-Street class while doing it.
My co-driver is supplying tires for the last race, so we will see how it goes. This will be the last race for this car. After this, this car will just be my daily driver.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Tomorrow will be a new day racing with this car - RallyCross. That is autocross on dirt. And it rained hard today. I'm just going to run my street tires and see how it goes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Needless to say, the effort was fruitless. My car got stuck on the first lap. The track was so slick, and past national 2nd place driver even got stuck. All wheel drive or knobby tires were the only survivors. And AWDs with street tires suffered.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Two notes about Rallycross and a MK3.5 focus:
1. My bellypan may not be salvageable. All three mount points on the front are gone. The rubber lip is also gone. One piece was barely holding on by one bolt.
2. You can turn off traction control - but not stability control. Every curve, when the rear would kick out, stability control would lock a rear wheel to bring it back in, and limit the throttle. ABS would kick in to limit the lockup. This action literally sucked all the fun out of driving this car for a rallycross.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts