Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on a 1997 Taurus the other day and thought how nice and compact the 3.0 U code motor is and they last forever.They also came with std. transmissions(mtx-75) so clutch parts should not be much problem.These motors are dirt,dirt cheap at bone yards and make very good torque and HP.Has anyone heard of a transplant being done?Yea,I have heard of SHO's being done,but I don't want to have to work on that beast under my hood.A nice 3.0 with an MTX would be a nice package in a 2500lb. Focus.Love my Zetec,but if I ever pop it.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm curious as well. I'd like to do a v8 conversion when my zetec dies(should be a while from now...only at 60kmiles) but this seems like it may be a cheaper option although more custom fabrication involved. I think I saw a v8 conversion full bolt in kit somewhere but it was expensive.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
yeah ford racing makes a full bolt on kit that goes for about 7 grand i think. but instead of swapping, you could just rebuild the zetec and boost it and have way more hp and tq than a 3.0 could make. and you'd end up being a lot lighter. just an idea, but definitely do whatever you want. you could be the first to do that kind of swap if you really want.

·
Registered
789 Posts
or you could put the 3.0 in, rebuild it and boost it, and be making way more than the zetec if you did the same thing to it because you would be able to possible run at higher boost on the bigger engine. just my .02

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
haha yeah you could do that too. i'm sure that would cost a lot of money, since it would involve a lot of custom work. but if you have the resources and know-how, i would go for it. i mean pretty much you could establish a relationship with a salvage yard, and they could probably find you parts that you need. depending on where you are in ne, v6focus is the owner of focussalvage.com and can swap just about anything into a focus. i think he's located in md, but he's worth talking to about the subject.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 200hp 2.5L V6 out of an SVT Countour has been done a few times as well....

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
My viewpoint is that if you are going through the trouble of doing the engine swap, why not go with the best you can find. And, IMO, as far as the 3.0 would go, then the SHO engine is what you would want. Either that, or, as someone else mentioned, the SVT Countour 2.5. Saving money by going with the pushrod 3.0 is all well and good, but any swap will be expensive (SHO, SVT, pushrod 3.0, or even V8), so why not go with the best you can find?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have a look under the hood of an SHO Taurus or a Contour 2.5 and you will understand why I want to keep it simple with the 3.0 pushrod ohv engine.I can get complete running 3.0 Tauruses for $300-500 (with totalled bodies)with under 80k miles pretty easily.I have done some preliminary measurements and the 3.0 will fit easily room wise.If I go with the whole donor car,I will get alll the mounts,manifolds,radiator,harness,ecm,accessories etc.Exhaust won't be too involved.I would keep it fwd.(mtx-75)At this stage,I am only thinking aloud.I was also wondering if anyone had done this swap into the Focus because this motor is so dead nuts dependable and has excellent power,stock.Not trying to be different to be different,I think the 3.0 pushrod engine is a great unit and would go well in the Focus chassis.Like I said,love my 2.0 Zetec,but....

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Did someone say SHOcus?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have yet to see a 3.0L pushrod motor with an MTX 75 transmission(or any manual transmission for that matter). The Duratec 2.5 in a Contour/Cougar is really cramped, but in a Focus, there is a little more room to work. I've heard people tell me that my 3.0L SHO Focus looks easier to work on then the Tauruses. The main problem I see is that the pushrod engine has a cast iron block and heads(very heavy) compared to a duratec (aluminum block and heads), or the SHO (cast iron block, aluminum heads). The duratec is only approxamately 100lbs heavier than a zetec, and the pushrod engine is probably 2 to 3 times that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I would be using an SHO MTX-75,which is the same block as the 3.0 U code..I actually know where there is one with a bad engine,but good trans.The SHO is a cool looking motor,and really pumps out good HP,but most yards want strong coin for one with all the trimmings.It would be nice to find a wrecked SHO and transplant everything I guess...hmmm.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm sure there are some wrecked SHO's around somewhere, but they would still cost a little bit I guess. That would be a really crazy ride though...the stock SHO had what, 220 horses?

·
Registered
325 Posts
the 96-99 SHO's have V8's. They are a 4.? liter I forget I used to own a99 3.0 Vulcan engine powered Taurus and it was quick and decent on gas 27/31. The Taurus is a much wider car than the Focus so you might want to look into the SVT 2.5. Plus the 3.0 pushrod, also known as the Vulcan, is cast iron block and heads. The other two the DOHC V6 and the SHO V8 are aluminum cast. Again the V8 only came in the 96-99 Tuarus's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts