Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Hi All,
I pretty new to this forum type of stuff, remember patience is a virtue.
I have a bunch of questions, but I'll try yo be brief.
My son is now driving one of our daily drivers, it is a 2005 ZX5 SES. When we bought it used a while back, and I was looking for tires I was told it had some sort of performance package, I never got all the details, but I know it came stock with 16 inch wheels, and oversized front brakes, anyone know what else it may have?
Now that it has a much younger driver I was hoping to put just a bit more pep in it's step, we have tinted the windows, and have 17" wheels and tires on the way. I tried to make a SRI by using 2.5 (2.47") PVC and a cone filter, this failed ( maybe heatsoak), but am still working on some ideas for a "cheap intake" I've already gone over budget. My idea is to find a "box" type filter with a 2.5 MAF tube, and cut the bottom out to draw cooler air from under engine. Our weather is pretty hostile in Upstate New York, and changable. I would consider some of the CAI that ride low, but am skeptical because they use so much road salt here in the winter that on a warm day the air near the pavement is very heavy with salt, probably not good for the filter or engine. Because I know our vehicles don't get the care that they should (never parked) I want to make something that is care friendly (easy change parts) and thought maybe this style filter would be easier to mantain.
I'm a bit confused because it appears that some of the duratecs have 2.5" MAF tubes and some have 3", or can you just convert if you use the "new" MAF sensor, will they read to your computer okay? Well I said I was going to be brief, and I wasn't, But thanks to all for all the answers I have already seen.

FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
the 05-07 SES models have 16" wheels, a tach cluster, foglights, rear sway bar, larger front bar, power windows, arm rest, "leather" wrapped steering wheel. there may be more but the brakes arent anything special, it has the same front disc/ rear drum set up all foci had between 05-07 except for the ST.

It does have bigger brakes VS a 00-04 non-svt focus

do a search for stealth intake, it uses the stock MAF and a cone on the end. sounds like thats what youre shooting for because a bigger MAF (3") will mess with the computer without a tune

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
no input just wanted to say your a cool dad. my dad would never want to put a pep in my cars step

·
Registered
318 Posts
What buickboy said search up stealth mod is the biggest bang for your buck not that itsmuch but I felt the diference, and about the wheels I hope that every thing ges great without any problems.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
no input just wanted to say your a cool dad. my dad would never want to put a pep in my cars step
+1

If you want to do an intake on the cheap you could always search the Buy-Sell-Trade section on the forum. There's almost always a used intake on there for much cheaper than buying one new.

·
Registered
320 Posts
im not too sure how possible this is and correct me if im wrong. but i saw somewhere were a guy used his existing pipe on his intake (the one contaiing his sensor) and then just put a cone filter on that. something to possibly look into

·
Registered
318 Posts
im not too sure how possible this is and correct me if im wrong. but i saw somewhere were a guy used his existing pipe on his intake (the one contaiing his sensor) and then just put a cone filter on that. something to possibly look into

Sounds like the stealth mod, my friend kept just the tube that contains the sensor and he used metal pipes andcouplers I think that's what they are called and worked great.

·
Registered
320 Posts
so then that is possible? i was thinking about doing it myself to fabricate my own short ram. just buying a filter and maybe a couple connectors for it

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
ok so if i was to skip putting the cone as a cai and removed my carbon filter and the snorkel tube and put the cone filter on my sensor pipe then attached that pipe to my intake manifold. that would work jus the same correct? just converting it all from a cai to sri?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have also seen this done but you wil need more then just that peice because the MAF sensor oesnt go reach that far in my experience.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Umm you mean an extra tube , yes easily found in pepboys , autozone etc. Buy a coupler a 60 degree angle pipe with a thing that looks like a plug then your regular pip that has the maf sensor and a filter cone, the trickiestpart would be connecting the after parket pipe and the pipe that connects to the maf sensor ( the stock pipe.) Send me a private mssage if you need more details.

·
Registered
320 Posts
ok so basically the set up i have in my head is having my intake manifold. connecting a tube to that, my MAF tube to the new tube. and then my cone filter to the MAF tube. correct?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Correct there is another line that connects rght before the. Intake manifold in front of the thottle body, it has like a little green clip, not hard to spot make sure its also connected and the maf sensor has to be facing the right way. Pretty simple but hard to explain lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input

Thanks to all, as far as being cool, I believe you teach by example, we need to be responsible for our actions, and if your doing somthing you are not proud of maybe you should not be doing it, well enough of that.
I got the stealth stuff okay I was looking for something a little more user friendly, sort of a hybrid, it seems like you would have to jack up the car and all just to change filters, and like I was saying my fear is slush build up, around here, I've seen it find it's way into the most unlikely places and cause all kind of problems. I will keep trying mods of my 1st idea.
By the way, I didn't make it real clear what I tried, I used 2.5 PVC, with a PVC coupler over it, we milled out a slot for the MAF( facing right), and the coupler fit perfect into the throttle body boot, and then a cone filter. I think when I can, I will add a bit more and try to get the filter lower and farther away from the engine heat, but keep it where I can still change it easy if needed. I'm still want to keep the stock to go back until I can prove it out.
If I can make this work, I know we need to breath easier, but I still prefer stealth, looks and sound. Does anyone know how many baffles are in the breadbox? I am wondering has anyone ever tried just taking a hole saw and reaching through the tail pipe and cutting holes in the baffles, then you don't have to remove it, it still looks normal, but it may exhaust a bit easier.
Thanks, again for helping an "old guy" get his son some "pep"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like others said, my dad wouldnt do any of this for me either. He bought me a 240sx when i was 15 but when i wanted to stay at my moms it became "his". And if youre focus has the guard under your front bumper you should be fine with a CAI. look around and youll find one at a decent price.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I made this shield for the back side of my cai with some aluminum. It keeps water that gets splashed up from the tire off the filter and shields it from the hot air off the radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay you can all stop laughing now I have plenty of mechanical experience (industrial), just not auto. I see now that most of you recommend at least 2.5 exhaust, and stock is a bit small.
The shield looks great, but stll puts the filter pretty low to check and change regularly. How about a double wall, open top and bottom so convection carries the heat away from the filter, I may try that when I can.
I know I'm full of questions, but here we go, is it possible to have a dual tune, since our car is an automatic, say OD off tune is for all out [email protected]!!$ to the wall, turn loose hellfire, and then the second OD on mileage extender, stretch every mile you can out of every gallon of fuel. I know from my industial experience the some processors can run sub-routines, is that possible with Focus ECU's or is the memory to limited.
Just trying to get some ideas to work on this winter,to have just what we want and need come spring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts