Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 ford focus zx3 2.3l. I am having a problem that is semi hard to explain. When I bought the car it had over 215000 miles on it. It now has over 222,000. When I got it there was a check engine light, p0420 catalytic converter. I got that replaced. The problems are 1. It accelerates up to at least 25 MPH without me putting my foot on the gas pedal. 2. I have high rpms when idling and it seems to jerk the longer I'm idle. When the jerking happens the rpms drop below 1,000 and return to just above 1,000 and sometimes this jerking happens multiple times in a row. When I release the brake it continues until my car gets to about 15-20 MPH. does anyone know what makes my vehicle do that?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Could be the idle air control valve.
Could also be that your throttle body is partially stuck open could use a good cleaning.
First thing I would do would be to clean the throttle body. I would also check the throttle body cables to make sure it's not getting hung open.
I would also check for vacuum leaks make sure no hoses are popped off or anything like that.
Then I would think about replacing the idle air control valve.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have replaced the idle air control valve, and cleaned the throttle body. The jerking has become minimal yet still noticeable. Now the problem with the accelerating on it's own has gotten worse. I am going to try spraying a little throttle body cleaner on the wire that connects to the throttle body. I am also going to check all of the hoses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts