Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Can i jump around between premium gas and mid grade?...or should i just stick to one type?
I know of no reason why you shouldn't. Gas mileage may change a bit as you swap around but that's abou it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What does your car require? I'd buy that grade and be done with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only reason I'd know of why you wouldn't is because when you mix premium and regular you end up somewhere in the middle and don't get the full benefit of paying premium unless you stick with it over fill ups. Say you're at a half talk of 89, top off with 93, you're left with a full tank of 91 octane. Of course you can wait til your tank is closer to empty so the effect isn't as bad.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The only reason I'd know of why you wouldn't is because when you mix premium and regular you end up somewhere in the middle and don't get the full benefit of paying premium unless you stick with it over fill ups. Say you're at a half talk of 89, top off with 93, you're left with a full tank of 91 octane. Of course you can wait til your tank is closer to empty so the effect isn't as bad.
in some places that isn't too bad if your car takes regular. Last time I was in northern Missouri on vacation one place I got gas at actually had premium cheaper than regular, so while I was there if I was around that place when I needed gas car got premium.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If paying more for Premium in a car that calls for regular is not an issue, than you should have waited for an ST.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Haha ^^^THIS. Higher octane in a stock car that calls for 87, is a waste of money. Do some research.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just switched from regular to premium to see if it made a difference in anything...i drove it once and my mom had drove it a couples times no problems yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Straight from the FTC:

Are you tempted to buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars.

Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money, too. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtm

There's more to read on the website. But basically, stick to 87.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Straight from the FTC:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtm
There's more to read on the website. But basically, stick to 87.
well that is all fine and good but the question was not SHOULD but COULD he? and the answer to that is yes you can and not damage your engine. Frankly I buy whatever is cheaper and will fit my wallet when I need gas on my daily Driver. my cars that require premium obviously get it since they NEED it lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have never purchased high octane unless the vehicle required it.
Then again, I have only owned two vehicles that had an owners manual...
2002 Dodge B1500 and 2012 Ford Focus.
Every other car was used for many years before I bought them!

·
Registered
14 Posts
well that is all fine and good but the question was not SHOULD but COULD he?
That's kind of funny that you would point that out to me when you said the following on page 1 (which was the very first reply to this thread):

I know of no reason why you shouldn't. Gas mileage may change a bit as you swap around but that's abou it.
Emphasis mine. I don't know why you're nitpicking my post when yours is of the same construct, albeit with less information.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's kind of funny that you would point that out to me when you said the following on page 1 (which was the very first reply to this thread):
Emphasis mine. I don't know why you're nitpicking my post when yours is of the same construct, albeit with less information.
in my post shouldn't / couldn't can be used interchangably. There is no reason you SHOULDN'T run premium meaning it will not hurt your car. There are lots of reasons why you SHOULDN'T run 87 in a car that is tuned for 93.
Running premium in a car that calls for 87 will not hurt it in any way, shape or from. the FTC thing is strictly focused on an economic / performance view point and was written in 2003. I am not so sure that the information contained is even accurate anymore with the current engine technology. As someone stated there is at least some anecdotal evidence on this board that running premium in these cars does improve gas mileage albeit only slightly.

I will be keeping pretty accurate records on my trip from D.C. to Texas in late Oct-Nov. This is one thing I will be testing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fair enough. Considering the government has been wrong on numerous other subjects, I am definitely open to new information. Looking forward to hearing your results.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have noticed some mileage benefits. About 30 k for the extra 4$ it costed to fill. I will go with mid grade and use my 5 cent off per liter card. Makes it cheaper than low grade and it's medium. Not a big deal, but some days when the price is right I may go all out and get the shit that's laced with gold and diamonds. Lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
Haha ^^^THIS. Higher octane in a stock car that calls for 87, is a waste of money. Do some research.
Love your username, but it doesn't match with your ridiculous signature.

As for the topic, the computer module in the new Focus has the ability to change certain ratios and shifting styles on the fly...so changing to a higher grade petrol will increase performance. How much, you can never be sure (way too many variables), but it definitely will.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts